• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Cold Air Box

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Looking for some expert input regarding the need for a cold air intake box to be constructed for use with the 5.0 EFI in an EB. Is it overkill? Overrated?
I know some have used shields on the side of the cone filter, but I have not seen any sealed boxes. Thoughts?

Anybody have any experience building one or using something off of another auto?

Apologies if there is a past thread on this topic ... please point me to it if it exists.

Rob

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Saw this at last years AZ Stampede

Attachments

• P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 328
  • P1010133.jpg
    P1010133.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 248

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1285399&postcount=78

The air in the engine compartment gets pretty hot. Hot air is less dense of course. I don't think you will find any modern car or truck that does not have a cold air intake. I have also read that pressure pulses in the engine compartment at highway speeds introduce electrical fluctuations (noise) in the MAF signal.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
foxbody mustangs have a great factory set up. any cone filter in the engine bay will result in a loss of power. here is what i did. this is a great place to put a box due to the opening at the bottom of the inner fender.
100_3365.jpg

adcbd16d.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great setup 69. What box did you use? Looks like a good (but tight) fit. As long as you don't have power brakes I guess. Friend of mine finally got tired of messing with his driver's side dump plenum because he'd installed a brake booster and it was a nightmare.

Paul

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
actually i plan to run hydroboost on a stock angle bracket. i "think" it will all fit.

that is a mid 80's crown vic box with a K&N panel filter. the rest is 5.0 mustang flipped upside down.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks. I was wondering about a hydroboost. Guess we'll know right after you do!

Paul

OP
OP
RVH

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dave - Where did you put your battery?

Moved it to the drivers side. It mates up with explorer electrical harness better over there.

My project is not on the road yet but several years ago I retorfitted my 83 Bronco with a 94 Mustang HO. Initailly the airbox which contains the MAF sesnor was drawing air from the engine compartment. There was a significant increase in performance and smoothness is acceleration and and opperation at highway speeds after I installed an intake tube and scoop that pulled the air from the grill with some ram effect. I think it was a result of reducing pressure pulses interfeering with the computer and hot air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RVH

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
All - Many thanks for the replys. There seem to be several that have put forth some very creative and plentiful effort to build a cold air intake box for their EB.

I do not think there is any question that a cold air box is valuable, but I am wondering if the value is simply increased HP, due to colder dense air, or if a cold air box helps prevent problems, or poor running of the engine. Would it be correct to say that everything will run just fine with an exposed cone filter, but it just might run better, more efficient and with increased HP using a cold air intake box? Thoughts, corrects to my logic ... ?

Rob

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Hot engine-bay air is no worse for the engine than hot air in the desert. It just won't make as much power as cool mountain air. It won't run inherently "better", and it won't be more fuel-efficient.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One final thought. You have to go clear back to the 60s to find vehicles that draw intake air from the engine compartment.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not spacious, but it WILL fit with a PBB. IIRC, this is an early Tarus SHO box pulling thru a hole I cut to the inner fender.

That is clean Steve. Can't wait to figure mine out.

Paul

OP
OP
RVH

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
One final thought. You have to go clear back to the 60s to find vehicles that draw intake air from the engine compartment.

Agreed! Hard to argue with that. %)

Many thanks for all the input. I am just trying to piece together all the possible scenarios and things to consider before I swap mine over to EFI.

Rob