• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical - Heater, Fuse Box, Blinkers….

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Problems I have encountered are listed below with my questions at bottom.

1. Purchased bronco and lights would say on for a minute, then go off for a minute, back and forth. Also note, it didn’t seem to be bothered by bumps in the road. All breaks, blinkers running lights etc worked fine. I read a few posted on here and ended up replacing my high beam / dimmer floor switch and main light switch that’s located behind the dash. Lights now work as they should but it made my passenger side blinkers work “sometimes”.
2. Upgraded my heater box with a complete teardown, cleaning, paint, seals, gaskets, etc. Noticed my original 74 heater motor worked fine so I took the ch**y motor back for a refund. After putting the heater back together, I decided to test it before bolting it back up to the firewall. From the back of the “Pull for heat” knob there are three wires connected which run over to my heater box. Two of the wires attach to the back of the box and the orange wire hooks up to the power wire on the motor. I also have the motor grounded on the box as it should be. While plugged into the wires behind the dash, I get not heat or movement from the motor…. I can hook the power wire up to my battery post (or a 9V battery) and the motor starts to blow.
3. Due to #2’s issues, I went to my fuse box. It was very rusty so I started trying to clean the contact. In this process, one of the pieces that actually holds a fuse decided to come out.

Now for my questions starting with #1.

1. Any idea what might have caused the passenger blinks to work at times by replacing the two old parts with new? Anything you suggest I can check to possibly correct this problem?
2. Is it safe to assume that my heater problem is either the switch or a bad fuse? Another other things I need to check? Also, When I got my ride, there were no hoses hooked up to my heater core. Can someone provide me with pics of how the two hoses are run/routed and what hose hooks to which part of the core etc?
3. is there a way to replace the pieces that hold the fuse? It doesn’t look like it broke but it will not snap back into place. Do I need to try and find a better fuse box from a parts bronco, vendor, etc? If so, is the only way to install to start splicing wires? the small piece that came out looks to be for the15 amp fuse that’s for the dome light and cig lighter. If I don’t need either of these two items, can I just not worry with it?

Ultimate goal is to get the blinkers working correctly again, be able to hook my heater up (in the cab and under the hood) and have it work, correct anything with the fuse box that’s needed so other items will work as they should. Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as detailed as possible. I look forward to any responses or pics you can provide. Thanks,
Jake

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Problems I have encountered are listed below with my questions at bottom.

1. Purchased bronco and lights would say on for a minute, then go off for a minute, back and forth. Also note, it didn’t seem to be bothered by bumps in the road. All breaks, blinkers running lights etc worked fine. I read a few posted on here and ended up replacing my high beam / dimmer floor switch and main light switch that’s located behind the dash. Lights now work as they should but it made my passenger side blinkers work “sometimes”.
2. Upgraded my heater box with a complete teardown, cleaning, paint, seals, gaskets, etc. Noticed my original 74 heater motor worked fine so I took the ch**y motor back for a refund. After putting the heater back together, I decided to test it before bolting it back up to the firewall. From the back of the “Pull for heat” knob there are three wires connected which run over to my heater box. Two of the wires attach to the back of the box and the orange wire hooks up to the power wire on the motor. I also have the motor grounded on the box as it should be. While plugged into the wires behind the dash, I get not heat or movement from the motor…. I can hook the power wire up to my battery post (or a 9V battery) and the motor starts to blow.
3. Due to #2’s issues, I went to my fuse box. It was very rusty so I started trying to clean the contact. In this process, one of the pieces that actually holds a fuse decided to come out.

Now for my questions starting with #1.

1. Any idea what might have caused the passenger blinks to work at times by replacing the two old parts with new? Anything you suggest I can check to possibly correct this problem?
2. Is it safe to assume that my heater problem is either the switch or a bad fuse? Another other things I need to check? Also, When I got my ride, there were no hoses hooked up to my heater core. Can someone provide me with pics of how the two hoses are run/routed and what hose hooks to which part of the core etc?
3. is there a way to replace the pieces that hold the fuse? It doesn’t look like it broke but it will not snap back into place. Do I need to try and find a better fuse box from a parts bronco, vendor, etc? If so, is the only way to install to start splicing wires? the small piece that came out looks to be for the15 amp fuse that’s for the dome light and cig lighter. If I don’t need either of these two items, can I just not worry with it?

Ultimate goal is to get the blinkers working correctly again, be able to hook my heater up (in the cab and under the hood) and have it work, correct anything with the fuse box that’s needed so other items will work as they should. Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as detailed as possible. I look forward to any responses or pics you can provide. Thanks,
Jake

1) Turn signals have nothing to do with the headlight or dimmer switch. Look at the turn signal switch, bulbs and grounds.

2) Fuse maybe. Make sure motor is grounded well also. Hoses don't care which way they attach. Look at the diagram here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143011&highlight=motor+blower

3) If there are pieces falling off the fusebox then it's probably time to find a replacement. Corroded contacts there could also cause the blower problem.