• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

700 R4 Tranny question

Brand New 70

Loc.
Atlanta, Tx
I would like to install a 700 R4 in my 70 Bronco. I have seen pictures of these transmissions with the shifter on the right side and some on the left. Can the shifter location be changed? I would think it needed to be on the left side for the EB?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
There are many aftermarket gear selectors for mounting where ever you like, using a cable.
Mine's mounted on roll bar cross brace by the dash.

71_blue

I put a 700R4 in our '71. We use a B&M Megashifter that's mounted to the right of the twin sticks. Had to get an 8 foot cable (more $$$) and route it around on top of the aux fuel tank and it still has problems making the angle around the tcase. I love the trans but I hate the shifter. It's difficult to shift due to the cable angles and I'm always fighting with it to get the right shift detent. When I get the funds I'm throwing it out and putting in a column shift.

Oatmeal

I put a 700R4 in our '71. We use a B&M Megashifter that's mounted to the right of the twin sticks. Had to get an 8 foot cable (more $$$) and route it around on top of the aux fuel tank and it still has problems making the angle around the tcase. I love the trans but I hate the shifter. It's difficult to shift due to the cable angles and I'm always fighting with it to get the right shift detent. When I get the funds I'm throwing it out and putting in a column shift.
Have you checked out their stuff?: http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/shifters_knobs.htm ----------Hans

71_blue

Oatmeal,

I've thought about it but I really don't want to cut up my floor any more. We had a 4 speed floor shifter on the side that left a huge hole. I thought the column shift would be a bit cleaner too.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal,

I've thought about it but I really don't want to cut up my floor any more. We had a 4 speed floor shifter on the side that left a huge hole. I thought the column shift would be a bit cleaner too.
What column shifter works with the 700R4, though? Dosen't the 700R4 have an extra detent PRND321 vs Ford's PRND21?:? -----------Hans

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What column shifter works with the 700R4, though? Dosen't the 700R4 have an extra detent PRND321 vs Ford's PRND21?:? -----------Hans

Yes, the 700R4 has a spot for each gear in its shift pattern. One of the nice things about the transmission.

Todd Z.

71_blue

I'm not sure about the Ford column shift but I dropped a 700R4 in my wife's Nova a few years back and hooked it up to the stock column. The column has no detents, kind of slips around when not connected to the trans. Once it is attached to the shifter on the side of the trans, it uses the internal trans detents to indicate the gears. It threw the visual display off but we stuck an overlay with the new diagram in the dash so the pointer shows the correct gear your in. I've seen the after market columns have displays for both 3 speed and 4 speed so I would assume it would work the same way.

Oatmeal

Yes, the 700R4 has a spot for each gear in its shift pattern. One of the nice things about the transmission.

Todd Z.
I was seriously thinking of replacing my NP435 with one a while back. I had a Mercury Grand Marquis wagon I was going to pull the 302 and AOD out of but, I didn't like the AOD's weird shift pattern. After pricing the adapters for the trans to t/c and engine to trans......I scrapped that idea. I did pick up a nice 351W/C6/NP208 for cheap and sold the trans and t/c to fund the 351's rebuild!---------Hans