• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W ignition timing

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 351W in my Bronco had the timing set at about 22 degrees BTC when I got it. It runs well,pulls strong, does not overheat and starts easy,but that timing seems alittle too far advanced to me. I do not know how the engine is cammed and I know that will make a difference if it is a stock cam or not. Also at this timing setting it holds about 18 inches of steady vacuum. I would like to get some opinions or suggestions on this. Should I leave it set where it's at or should I change it ? What is the stock timing for a 351W ? Thanks

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
6-10*deg is normal.18 in. of vac is good.with that vac,it is not much of a cam over stock.probbly a good rv type.disc vac advance and see if timming changes.if you get a big change,you might have it on full manifold vac.but if you like the way it runs leave it alone.vacume advance usually gives about 10-15 deg's of advancebe a good idea to check it out for propper function anyway.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks,the one thing I failed to mention is that it has an MSD ignition with a centrifugal advance dizzy. There again, I don't know how the advance mechanism of the distributor is set up. Thanks again.