• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 inch rear lift

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have a 8 month old 3 1/2 lift that works perfect..the flex and ride has been GREAT both on and off the road! My issue is want 1 more inch in the back to compensate for tools and the hard top when it is on. I have plate bumpers front and back and a winch on the front. Any suggetsions? I do hate to stiffen the rear up but I am truly at a loss. Would you suggest ordering new 4 1/2 inch rear springs from the same supplier? or a 1 inch add-a-leaf? OR "GASP" a 1 inch block!??%) Do you think I would have to purchase a new rear shock and lengthen my driveshaft? I did purchase a new driveshaft for the 3 1/2 inch lift 8 months ago. I am running 33's and don't want to go to larger tires.

Also I am going to add a full family cage and some fairly heavy rock sliders.

AND I have not had the top off as of yet BUT the goal after the cage is added is to run the truck without a top from April-November.;D

Suggestions? ...thanks

Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I would try the add a leaf first. Or a 1" lift block. I am not a fan of lift blocks but one that is only 1" tall shouldnt be too bad. You shocks and drive shaft should be ok as is.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
How much work do you feel like doing? I'd think about a shackle flip as well.

I had not thought about this.
...I did the lift myself so which shackles would need to be flipped and how much lift would that give? I don't understand how that would increase the height.;D

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
matt, i got hold of deaver and added 1 more leaf to scott's 11 pack 3.5" making it a 12 pack, we got close to another inch out of it and it hardly affected the ride at all. did the same on dylan's bronco.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
matt, i got hold of deaver and added 1 more leaf to scott's 11 pack 3.5" making it a 12 pack, we got close to another inch out of it and it hardly affected the ride at all. did the same on dylan's bronco.

Thanks..who is "deaver"? sorry I'm a little out of the loop on some of this!
....thanks

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I had not thought about this.
...I did the lift myself so which shackles would need to be flipped and how much lift would that give? I don't understand how that would increase the height.;D

Flip rear shackles on leaf springs by cutting the shackle hanger off the frame, reversing it, re-welding it and mounting with the shackle below the hanger instead of above. The amount of lift depends on where you mount the shackle hanger (you can move it up or down as you please), and whether you decide to lengthen the shackles or buy longer aftermarket ones at the same time. Search on shackle flip and you'll find a handful of posts by myself and others.

The advantages: It's cheap, It can improve flex, it's not that technically difficult. It also corrects your pinion angle as you add lift.

The disadvantages. It requires welding on the frame and can be intimidating to the uninitiated.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
I got a coulple of 1 inch blocks I will give you if ya want em.

I faced the exact same issue - 3-1/2" lift, back sat a bit lower and could rub rear flares. As a 'fix' I stuck in the 1" blocks... it's been three years and I ain't changing 'em! They are short enough that you don't get the leverage problems you can get with tall blocks, doesn't affect the ride at all, and was done for $60 in a couple hours.

BTW, been on some hardcore trails with these and not a lick of trouble.

But then, I've been known to do things the easy way :)

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
So then help me with this. %)

I am leaning with the 1 inch block deal because it is a "Cheap, FREE Fix" and does not seem like 1 inch would add that much stress to anything!??

Say I add a 1 inch block that will increase the distance the drive shaft and shocks will have to drop by one inch? Correct?

I am wondering if both are up to the task. heh-heh;D

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
well if it started out as a 3.5" lift and is now sagging, you'd probably be close to where it was with those shocks and driveshaft, right?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Even if not sagged, I'm sure that the shocks are upgraded shocks and should have at least an additional inch of travel.

The driveline is a bit more of a question mark. Worst case: If it doesn't have the length, you can just unbolt the blocks and go back to what you had.... You can get a good idea by jacking your body up by one inch to see where it will be at ride height. Then jacking it up till the wheels are off the ground and pulling the axle down one more inch from static to see the max droop.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
well if it started out as a 3.5" lift and is now sagging, you'd probably be close to where it was with those shocks and driveshaft, right?

..Hmmm, I think you might be right.;D

I am not so sure I would call it "sag" as much as just added weight causing more compression...but I do understand your point. Especially since I still want to add a full family cage, an air tank, rocker guards, and additional arm to hold 5 gals of water to my plate bumper!

I might need that 1 inch just to make it where it sits NOW!! :eek: ;D heh-hhe