• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Idle RPM

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
What RPM should my Ford EFI 302 HO motor with a very mild cam idle at? 750 is what was suggested from a friend, but the motor's idling at 980 with 11 degrees timing and the idle adjust screw backed out almost completely.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Do you have too much tension in your throttle linkage?

(I've been there, (fabbed cable))

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Nope, using BC's throttle cable... and we have adjusted it to not have any slack, but it's not too tight.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Have you tried it with the throttle cable disconnected? There was a thread just last week about setting idle speed.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Didn't read it through the first time, now I see you're EFI.

You might need to clean out your IAC, or your idle air control/bypass. It can suffer from carbon build up if you're running used equipment. Secondly, once you set your idle w/your idle set screw (after you've figured out why you're idling high) then you set your TPS. You will screw up the settings if you've left the TPS alone & you're running the idle set screw in & out.

What kind of throttle body are you using? Accufab, while pricey, is "the dope", or tits, both in looks, and quality/performance. BBKs can trend on the junky side, with whistling issues, throttle blade screws that back themselves out & get sucked in to the engine, needing a hole drilled in the blade to eliminate whistling, etc.

You can search "TPS" on Corral.net to figure out what settings are deemed optimal.

The TPS settings are as controversial as dropping an LS1 in a Mustang for many. I think it's like .998, but research it.

Last edited:

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
You don't have that thing running yet? I had a similar problem with the throttle cable on mine. I loosed it up until I had just the tiniest bit of slack and the idle is now fine. Before I always had way too much idle speed and could not get rid of it with timing or otherwise. Unhook the cable and see it that does the trick. If so just loosen the cable some.
Man you gotta get that thing on the road so we can all see it.

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I fabd up a tensioner spring for my BC cable. Other things to check, unmetered air entering the engine, dirty MAF sensor, throttle blade, is the IAB functioning correctly ?

broncaholic

You don't have that thing running yet? I had a similar problem with the throttle cable on mine. I loosed it up until I had just the tiniest bit of slack and the idle is now fine. Before I always had way too much idle speed and could not get rid of it with timing or otherwise. Unhook the cable and see it that does the trick. If so just loosen the cable some.
Man you gotta get that thing on the road so we can all see it.

Shoot! I am still f'ng with my IAB vlv. Thing will not idle cold but runs great warm. Installed the IAB bypass plate and still the same friggin problem! You're doin' good Bro.