• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 cooling problems dies at 190

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
Ok guys ive done my home work and thrown a bunch of money at this problem and its driving me nuts! I have a 351w transplanted into a 76 bronco. I have added an HOWE aluminum Radiator. I added a thermostatic controled 12" fan, mounted to the radiator. I installed an electric fuel pump near the tank, along with some jegs steel braded fuel line. Today i installed a carb spacer 1" phelonic. Seems to have more power but still around 190 deg I start to loose power and it cuts out and dies. The intake is a eledbrock 351 performer 2181. The carb is a holley 4 barrel quick fuel? Today it died in the alley near my house due to heat. I sat there for about 10 min, then is was able to start up and drive home.

markperry

Bronco Guru
What is your timing set at....I have 392 stroker with a 160 degree t-stat in my 67 Mustang and if the timing is too retarded it over heats....I took this in consideration when I put a 351 in my Bronco.

I use a 160 degree t-stat and the timing set at 12 degrees BTD...It always runs around 170 degrees....Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
Crazy thing about the timing i cant find the mark to tell where the timing is set. I cant see the timing marks at all from the passenger side which is where you should look correct? I already put a 160 deg tsat on the beast. It runs like a scalded ape when its cool then the performance fades and cuts out as it gets hotter

markperry

Bronco Guru
Hummmmmmm....I don't have a timing mark on my 392 stroker either but you can advance it until it runs properly...just advance it until it's hard to start, then back it off a bit...if it pings back it off some more....not a perfect prescription for success but it works!

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
190 should have nothing to do with it dying. My guess is your boiling your fuel, if your fuel lines or fuel filter are close to a heat source (headers). Another thing could be vapor lock. If you want to set your Timing right get some timing tape from Summit racing and set your number 1 cylinder at top dead center. You might have a 302 harmoinc balancer on your 351. The 351 timing marks are on the passenger side of the motor and the pointer would be under the water pump where you can't see it. Its typical to use all the bronco 302 stuff on the front of the 351W as long as its a 28 oz balance motor. If that were the case your timing pointer would be on the driver side of the motor and you would have a 3 bolt crank pully. In any case if you can't read the timimg marks get the timing tape from summit it only 4 dollars

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Is the 12 inch electric the only fan? If so, its not moving enough air. The fuel boil idea is likely. Check the routing of fuel lines, and keep the fuel lines in the engine bay as cool as possible. And use small filters, the hold less, so they don't have as much time to heat up.
Tom

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I suspect 190 may not be an accurate temp because of the power loss as it heats up and the 12" fan. 190 degrees shouldn't cause any problems. Might try an IR heat detector on it to verify it.

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
Also check to see if your coil is in good condition. Mine played that game for a while and it turned out to be the coil cooking...replaced with an epoxy filled unit from MSD...fixed

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
I actually have 2 fans on the radiator the origianl and the 12" as a helper. The fuel lines are ran as far away from the heat as possible and are the steel braded lines from Jegs. My question is what temp do most 351w s run? Thanks for all the help
Pdaddy

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
The distributer and vacume advance seem to be really hot could that affect the performance and the cutting out? The Dis is aftermarket but the vac advance looks original.

msweb

Bronco Guru
To address the timing issue - I had the same issue when we built my 302 that came from an F150. Everything was under the waterpump and we couldn't see it to set the timing.

We copied the scale from the balancer, made a pointer that would mount on the driverside (other side of waterpump), set the motor to #1 was TDC and then transferred the marks to the appropriate position on the balancer so they lined up with the home made pointer. A metallic Sharpie works great for this. It isn't exact I'm sure, but it's pretty darn close and didn't even cost $4 ;D

Attachments

• Timing Marker.jpg
    Timing Marker.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 36

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I actually have 2 fans on the radiator the origianl and the 12" as a helper. The fuel lines are ran as far away from the heat as possible and are the steel braded lines from Jegs. My question is what temp do most 351w s run? Thanks for all the help
Pdaddy

My 351W based engine runs at whatever temp thermostat I put in it. Currently it's 190 and mine runs fine.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
have you tried putting some starting fluid in the carb after it dies? it sounds like it could be fuel related. it sounds like a clogged filter.

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
Fuel is flowing freely to the carb being that i have an electric fuel pump and a pressuer gauge near the carb. It stays around 6 even after it dies. I do have a 160deg tsat curently installed. It stays at 160 when im driving it but goes to 190 siting in traffic or at a redlight. Thats when it wants to cut out and die. Longer trips are no problem as long as theres no stop and go

Pdaddy

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
This sounds like you have an electrical issue. The coil and the duraspark unit can be damaged and are now effected by the surrounding heat.
Tom

windsor

Loc.
Jackson, MS
i would have to get the timing correct first. it costs little to no money. timing means alot. it can be off and cause all kinds of different problems. what is your compression ratio? if it is 9.5:1 or more and your running pump gas and your timing is off you could be detonating and loose power that way.

check your timing and get it right before you throw another dollar at your truck. keep it simple. you need compression, fire , gas and oxygen to make an engine run.

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
I read somewhere that you can get a Harmonic balancer that has markings for a 302 and 351? currently I cant see the timing marks on the pass side. I have never changed one before is this a worth while undertaking? Seems timing may have a lot to do with the issue. Does any one have instructions on how to use the timing tape mentioned eariler.

markperry

Bronco Guru
This is the one I used from Summit

SUM-163289 DAMPER OEM 289-351 1 1Z045WV80388218839

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
I had the same issue...............it all revolved around the timing. Get that set right and it will run as cool as a summers breeze!! Think I'm between 12 and 13 degrees BTD.

robinsoncc

The Windsor run are made to run in the range of 190-210 F. I would suggest investing in a new temp sensor to see if the heat is the issue. All if you think it's a fuel problem like most have suggested try running an electric fuel pump or you can put a check valve close to the carb. It doesn't sound like a overheating issue.