• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Difference between Bronco and Scout Dana 44

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am waiting for pics of this axle. The guy does not know which axle he has, but it'e either a Bronco or Scout Dana 44 disc. How do I tell the difference between the two?

63A

I think the Scout used leaf springs so a Scout axle will have pads for the leaf springs versus the diamond shaped mounts for the Bronco radius arms. That should be relatively obvious if it is a good pic.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the Scout used leaf springs so a Scout axle will have pads for the leaf springs versus the diamond shaped mounts for the Bronco radius arms. That should be relatively obvious if it is a good pic.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. I figured that maybe the differential is on the opposite side, but I don't know a whole lot about Scouts. I hope it's a Disc brake 44 for a Bronco though!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Unless I'm mistaken the scout has a pass side diff.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
pics of my buddy's scout w/ 44

709756984_oLApd-XL.jpg

Scrapper_MV

Will the passenger side knuckle on the scout D44 fit our D44? The reason I ask is that the scout knuckle has two holes, on for the tie rod and one for the drag link. You can see it in the picture above. Wouldn't this would make a TRO conversion a little easier.

High jack over.

Broncrick

Loc.
Nevada City,CA
Will the passenger side knuckle on the scout D44 fit our D44? The reason I ask is that the scout knuckle has two holes, on for the tie rod and one for the drag link. You can see it in the picture above. Wouldn't this would make a TRO conversion a little easier.

High jack over.

I have Scout knuckles on my 44 TRO :cool:
Rick-

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK. So if I have a CHEAP Scout Dana 44, are there good disc brake parts that I could use for a Bronco axle? Or any other parts that would make it worth the $50 he is asking?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
FYI - this recently happened to my buddy's scout Dan 44 while on the freeway:

710697605_NXNCp-L.jpg

so... not sure why that happened but the parts may be different Ford vs Scout