• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

31 spline axles

moeszyslak

i recently bought a set of yukon axles from complete offroad. i thought i had the big bearing rear end but turns out it is the small. i did not relize it until i had assembled the axles. to lat to return. i was wondering if anyone knows if you can find a bearing and seal the will work on the 31 spline axles in a small bearing housing. i would like to stick with the yukno axles because of the warranty. i sawon the wildhorses that they ue a conversion bearing to do this. just need to find some part numbers. thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He wouldn't give you the conversion numbers then, I take it?
Not sure myself. But there might be another solutiong that would allow you to keep the bearings you have. Have someone local (or you can do it if you can weld) put big-bearing ends on your existing housing.

Pretty sure that several here have done it, so maybe they'll pop in with details.

Good luck.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any shop that can properly narrow a housing should be able to put new housing ends on it to match your bearings, but you'll need the brakes to match it since the backing plates are different between the various housing ends. There are different big-bearing housing ends as well, so you'll need to run either the old-style or the new-style to match your axles. The brake/axle offset dimension is 2.36" for the old-style and 2.50" for the new-style axles. Just as a side note, the new-style "Torino" housing ends are referred to as a "medium-duty bearing" application on this and other EB sites...don't ask me why.

New housing ends are less than $100 per pair and can typically be installed for ~$150 to $200 by a competent shop.

Oatmeal

I think these are the bearings you need: http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=757 but, wow they're expensive!:eek: It would probably be better to have new ends put on your housing or better yet, go to the bone yard and pick up a later Bronco or F-150 empty housing (heck, you can pick up complete ones for about $150!) and have it narrowed......you'll have to move the shock mounts and spring perches but, you'll end up with a much stronger housing and if you sell off the shafts and third that came with it, you'll spend next to nothing! Just a thought;) -------Hans

Oatmeal

Sorry, I was wrong.....you need a bearing with a 1.533" ID. Currie used to have a conversion bearing on their site but, I can't seem to find it now.?:? You might try giving them a call.-----------Hans

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
Get new ends or get a full width housing and cut it down
If you were closer I'd buy your small bearing stuff
"one day it will be restored"

OP
OP
M

moeszyslak

thanks for the help. i think i have decided to just swap rear housings. i have a big bearing bronco housing but i have been trying to avoid do it because i have the james duff 4 link on the rear and didnt want to do all the grinding and welding again to switch them.. i originaly thought mine was a big bearing so i used it. guess ill look a little closer next time thanks again

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wouldn't it be easier then to just replace the housing ends to the big-bearing setup? Rather than have to re-do all your 4-link mounts?
Sounds simpler from here at least, so I had to ask.

Paul