• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 to T5 question

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Ok, I have a question about a 69' 351. It came with a C4 auto and I am putting a T5 from a 91ish Stang behind it. The question is what flywheel do I use? Can I use the one from the Stang 302?

No I am not putting a 351 in my Bronco(my Bronco will be getting a roller 302 with Thumper heads and E cam soon enough), but I know there are a few that have a T5 behind their 351 and that is who I am looking for, and that should keep it "Bronco" related :). I am actually putting the 351 back into my 69 Mustang with the T5 behind it.

Thanks,
Mike

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the one from the stang will be a different balance than your 351. you'll need a 157 tooth flywheel, not sure what would be 28oz balance and 157 tooth, maybe an early mustang. be careful though, some early mustangs used a 0oz balance.

if you want, you can use your stock bronco bell housing, flywheel, and clutch. these guys sell an adapter plate, but it only uses 3 of 4 bolts to hold the trans in then.
http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop...xt&category=Adapters&merchant=moderndriveline
http://www.calponycars.com/prodDetail.php?prodId=349

barronj

Bronco Guru
You sure about the tooth count? I think you want a 28oz flywheel w/ a 164 tooth count (larger diameter flywheel to match the bellhousing on the t-5; the 302 flywheel for that bh would have had 164 teeth). Go to Corral.net w/ this question.

BTbronco

If you are using the factory aluminum bell housing then you must run the 157 tooth flywheel and it must be 28oz. I'm not sure if you can run a 164 tooth flywheel but you would have to use an aftermarket bell housing to do so.
Your 351 is balanced to 28oz unless you have an aftermarket rotating assembly.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
As stated you need the 157 tooth flywheel and there is an early 28oz flywheel out there. For the cost of a new it may be easier to just buy one new for you application. By the time you pay for a used one and ship it and then have it resurfaced.

It's been a long time since I have messed with the mustang stuff and I don't visit the mustang site any more so i am not as up to date as I once was. One thing you may want to look out for is that the ealry flywheel will except the later model pressure plate meaning the flywheel should have the holes already in the flywheel for that size and stly pressure plate. I ran into a problem like this but can't recall what car or truck it was on.

Since you're working on a 69 mustang what clutch operating set up do you plan on using? I have a buddy back in Ohio who came up with his own idea and it's now installed on two cars.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Thanks a lot guys. I am planning to put the same set up master/slave cylinder that I have on my Bronco. I am using the Wilwood set up like is in the tech section.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Sorry- perhaps I'm turned around on how many teeth the flywheel on my bronco has? I remember buying a mustang flywheel mistakenly, and counting the teeth. My appologies for misinformation- stoopied noob.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bronco is 164
Mustang is 157
Ask anyone who tried to use a mustang flywheel and clutch in a Bronco bellhousing only to find the starter doesn't reach the smaller mustang flywheel.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Is there a adapter for the T5 to dana 20?

Hummm, not sure. I want to say I read someone that was using a T5 in a Bronco. I am just looking together at banging gears in my 69' Stang with a 351W with Windsor Jr. heads, Lunati cam, Full length headers... Man I can't wait :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is there a adapter for the T5 to dana 20?

There was. It was an adapted Jeep part. And they would break in underpowered jeeps. Not the best choice. The adaptor figured out hot to attach a dana 20 to a T5, but the mustang T5 bellhousing rotates the transmission and uses a cable clutch. That rotated transmission caused the transfer case to be rotated as well. So now you need a bellhousing to stand the transmission straight up. The T5 is also a little weak. They break all the time in mustangs. They have the advantage of being traction limited so too much power in a light car and the tires just spin. Broncos have more weight and throw in 4WD way better traction. But back in the early 90's it was the only 5-speed option and one of only a couple of overdrive options.

They no longer offer the kit. There are a few out there but not popular. I wouldn't touch one. There are much better 5-speed options out there now. NV4500, ZF, NV3550 span the heavy truck through near sporty car.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Hummm, not sure. I want to say I read someone that was using a T5 in a Bronco. I am just looking together at banging gears in my 69' Stang with a 351W with Windsor Jr. heads, Lunati cam, Full length headers... Man I can't wait :)

I bought a 28 oz balance flywheel from Ford Racing to go with the 91 Mustang T-5 bell housing ($250). I used the stock Mustang starter. I think I read on here that there is a flywheel that will work from a 90's Ford pickup. Not sure of all the details. Try a Mustang site. Not sure about seat arrangements in a 69 but I have heard that if you have a bench seat you may need the tail section from a T-5 Chevy S-10. It moves the shifter forward so it will clear the seat.

I messed with the inside of the Mustang bell housing. I made up a copy of the stock Bronco pivot for the clutch arm and mounted it in the 91 bell housing. Added a bracket on the outside also. It looks just about stock Bronco as far as the clutch linkage goes.