• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch for NV3550?

jasonv

Hi,

I am putting an NV3550 in and I have the clutch disk that came with the AA kit. I would like to get the rest of a new clutch, perhaps a centerforce. Is that just the standard item, I can go to my local Napa and tell them I need a clutch for a '74 302?

Also is the centerforce going to be a bigger leg workout to hold down? This primarily a daily driver but the clutch chatter was one of the main reasons that I started the rebuild. I have a new flywheel, new clutch disk, new fork.

thanks,
Jason

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I believe your talking about a new pressure plate. You can reuse your existing pressure plate, however I would suggest using a new one. And, NO it doesn't really matter if you use the centerforce pressure plate or a stock replacement plate. The centerforce claims to provide more pressure to the disk, but I personally don't think it really makes a difference until you get into the upgraded centerforce plates.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am not sure if there is any real advantage to a Centerforce II vs a LUK diaphram. CF charges more...as to whether it has better holding power...I guess maybe you can get some comments. LUK is the OEM clutchmaker...stock was a 3-finger style. You want a diaphram style, which is newer (design). It has a softer pedal feel than the 3-finger. A LUK diaphram clutch is what all Centerforce IIs start their life as...they are modified to supposedly be better...I have never run one, so I cant say. In the 15 yrs I have had my Bronco I have only used the LUK clutch (2-3 fingers and more recently a diaphram). I have an almost new 3-finger in my garage (maybe 1000 miles)--from when I installed an NV3550 to when I started my frame off. The 302 went bye bye and the 5.0 flywheel will not mate to the older style 3-finger clutch...so I had to buy a new diaphram PP. My friend that bought the 3550 during the build ended up installing a 5.0 in his, so he couldnt use the PP either. If you are running a 302 and want to save quite a few bucks on a 3-finger PP, drop me a PM.