• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Fuel rail question

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
To start with, I have a 351W and will be using a 351W GT-40 lower intake with an Explorer upper intake and 65mm Throttle body. I would like to have the Inlet/Return fuel lines in the back of the motor, but have read that the FP regulator should be on the same side as the Throttle Body. Is there a reason why?

I have a truck 351W fuel rail with the fuel lines in the back, but the regulator and Schrader valve is on the drivers side opposite the throttle body. I also picked up an HO motor fuel line off of a Lincoln with the fuel lines and regulator on the passenger side (fuel lines are in front), but it doesn't seem to have the Schrader valve to test the fuel pressure. I seem to recall seeing pictures of a passenger side throttle body with the truck fuel rail, but am not sure.

Should I be patient and try to find an Explorer fuel rail with the Inlet/Return lines in the back? What would be the best fuel rail setup for my application?

Thanks as I am still learning and gathering parts.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would like to have the Inlet/Return fuel lines in the back of the motor, but have read that the FP regulator should be on the same side as the Throttle Body. Is there a reason why?

The upper will hit the fuel pressure reg unless you use a large spacer between the upper and the lower. That will also cause hood problems. Find an explorer fuel rail.

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
The upper will hit the fuel pressure reg unless you use a large spacer between the upper and the lower. That will also cause hood problems. Find an explorer fuel rail.

2x viperwolf is right, i had a fuel rail that had reg on rear driver andthe gt40 upper hit, I still have it if u want it...if the whole thing will fit under hood w/ spacer....that said I have looked for used explorer specific rails and had no luck, except for a very old crappy set on ebay, and if you want new they are 200-300 bucks, why not use mustang? there available, cheap and u can run lines to rear...

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Explorer fuel rail. You need to lengthen the lines to fit the wider intake. I cut off the old hard plastic/nylon lines and used EFI hose and clamps. Inlet/outlet is on driver's side rear of the engine, FPR is on throttle body side. It does not interfere.

Attachments

• 351W SEFI Pass Side Clearance.JPG
    351W SEFI Pass Side Clearance.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Rear of Intake with explorer fuel rails.JPG
    Rear of Intake with explorer fuel rails.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Intake Painted.JPG
    Intake Painted.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 86

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
I am working on the exact same thing right now. I would love an explorer rail, but can't seem to find one for less than 120 bucks. I think I am going with the mustang rail I have.

I used the explorer coolant tubes on mine. I had to heat them and tweak them just a bit to clear the injectors on the 351 gt40 lower.

How did you cap off all the extra vacuum ports on the upper? I am thinking about cutting them off, then drilling, then tapping and plugging with an NPT plug. From what I can tell with hydroboost, I only need the two rear ones- Fuel pressure regulator and PCV.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How did you cap off all the extra vacuum ports on the upper? I am thinking about cutting them off, then drilling, then tapping and plugging with an NPT plug. From what I can tell with hydroboost, I only need the two rear ones- Fuel pressure regulator and PCV.

If you plan to use a C4 or C6 you'll need a vac port for the modulator. EGR requires one and so does canister purge if you plan to use them. I think it's a good idea to also have a port available on the front for diagnostic testing.

u10072

Bronco Guru
With about any fiberglass hood with a 351 and an upper/lower GT40 intake- with a 1" spacer-- which is so nice because you can run any valve cover or fuel rail option-- I have always cleared. With that said I do run a 1" body lift and have poly body mounts. Get the spacer they are like $35 on ebay!

70_Steve

Old Guy
With about any fiberglass hood with a 351 and an upper/lower GT40 intake- with a 1" spacer-- which is so nice because you can run any valve cover or fuel rail option-- I have always cleared. With that said I do run a 1" body lift and have poly body mounts. Get the spacer they are like $35 on ebay!
With a 2" body lift and raised glass hood, I can't run the 1" spacer with the GT-40 lower and Explorer upper on my 351. The TB fresh air connection to the valve cover, and the TPS would hit. Unfortuately, the Explorer fuel rails won't fit without some serious modifications either! The high pressure connection points directly at the firewall wiring harness connectors. So... I'm "exploring" other options... I'm trying to make the truck fuel rails work. I've got a 3/8" spacer coming, and I've got a different FPR to try.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
With a 2" body lift and raised glass hood, I can't run the 1" spacer with the GT-40 lower and Explorer upper on my 351. The TB fresh air connection to the valve cover, and the TPS would hit. Unfortuately, the Explorer fuel rails won't fit without some serious modifications either! The high pressure connection points directly at the firewall wiring harness connectors. So... I'm "exploring" other options... I'm trying to make the truck fuel rails work. I've got a 3/8" spacer coming, and I've got a different FPR to try.

what about using the truck fuel rail on the driver's side and putting a plate on the diamond shaped FPR and then using the explorer rail on the passenger side?

that way you have the truck inlet/outlet on the driver's side which dont hit the firewall and you have the explorer FPR on the passenger side?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
what about using the truck fuel rail on the driver's side and putting a plate on the diamond shaped FPR and then using the explorer rail on the passenger side?

that way you have the truck inlet/outlet on the driver's side which dont hit the firewall and you have the explorer FPR on the passenger side?

uh... wait a second - nevermind I dont think that would work.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
OK - you could use the driver's half of a Mustang fuel rail which has no inlet or outlet - just the front and back interconnect.

You could then use the passenger side Explorer rail with FPR/return.

Then instead of using a springlock connector you could just tee into one of the interconnects with a 5/16ths barbed TEE for your pressure line.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Those are unique options!!! Actually, for my intake (dunno if it's the same for a 5.0) the FPR does fit under the explorer upper. But there's only like 1/8" clearance between the vacuum connection on the top of the FPR and the bottom of the upper, so I can't get a hose on it.

So, the "different" FPR I mentioned is a BBK adjustable. All the pictures of this regulator show the vacuum connection coming out the side of the FPR.
Great! So... I find this guy in Cali with an all but brand new BBK FPR (30 minutes run time) and buy it for a significant savings. It comes in the mail, and I'm all excited and I open the box.. DAMN!!, the vacuum connection is off the top!!!:mad: They recently redesigned the FPR... So, I haven't had the chance to actually see how bad this FPR fits... maybe this weekend...

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
So, the "different" FPR I mentioned is a BBK adjustable. All the pictures of this regulator show the vacuum connection coming out the side of the FPR.
Great! So... I find this guy in Cali with an all but brand new BBK FPR (30 minutes run time) and buy it for a significant savings. It comes in the mail, and I'm all excited and I open the box.. DAMN!!, the vacuum connection is off the top!!!:mad: They recently redesigned the FPR... So, I haven't had the chance to actually see how bad this FPR fits... maybe this weekend...

The explorer 5.0 has some vacuum connections that are an elbow connection that wouldn't add much height on top of the FPR inlet. You might be able to find some of those and take an 1/8th off the tube of the FPR.

I saved all my old explorer stuff so I'll see if I can find one tonight and see if it fits snug on the FPR.

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Great information on fuel rail options. It seems that a spacer, either 3/8" or 1", will help with the various options. My bronco has a 2" body lift and a stock hood that has an old Duff hood bubble with the hood cut out under the bubble and the cross brace cut back to clear the 4" air cleaner. Once I get moved and start the EFI install I will be able to see how much room I will have for clearance which should be easy to see because of the holes in my hood bubble.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The explorer 5.0 has some vacuum connections that are an elbow connection that wouldn't add much height on top of the FPR inlet. You might be able to find some of those and take an 1/8th off the tube of the FPR.

I saved all my old explorer stuff so I'll see if I can find one tonight and see if it fits snug on the FPR.
I have a 90 deg vacuum elbow with the PVC tubing that I took off the truck manifold when I picked up the fuel rail. Was a nice fit with the 1" spacer. But it sets the upper up 3/8" on that side when installed on the FPR. i might look into juggling thing, but if I modify anything, I think I'll have the best luck modifying the BBK regulator,even if I have to "reloacate" the vacuum connection to the side.