• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project start!!!...again....77 Sport lift, heim steering, pictures

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
I believe it is time to start the project....

Goal is fun daily driver, mileage not too big of a concern

Bronco sat for a couple years without being cranked. Put a fuel pump and starter solenoid on it and it basically fired right up. Engine seems fairly strong but it is pretty dirty from oil leak/dirt combining to create the "concrete" thats on it. Should I just clean it up real good, in frame, and do a major tune up and then see how bad any of the leaks actually are?

Auto trans (first vehicle I have owned with an auto besides wifes car)
I am asking before I have actually looked it over very well so forgive me in advance.
Trans has a pretty good leak but I don't know where its coming from yet. If driven regularly, I'm guessing I would have to fill trans every time I filled gas tank ;D Leaks when running and when sitting. Where all could the leak be? My first thought would be hose fittings, dip stick grommet, pan gasket. The trans shifts fairly firm.

Thanks,
Travis

Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
All depends what you want out of it.
The best ways to fix a leak in the motor is to clean it up and then run it. You will find most of these old 302s have a bad leak were the dip stick goes in the pan and the rear main seal is also prone to leak. The intake front and rear seals and vlave covers are a good place for leaks too. I have found that the only way to get all the leaks is to pull the motor and put new seals in it.

I have never owned a car or truck with a C4 auto trans that did not leak! Maybe it is just me but they all seam to leak from the fron pump seal, the pan gasket, band adjusters and the shifter linkage. But you maybe lucky and it could just be the pan gasket or a loose trans cooling line.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You're going to have to get it cleaned up to fix the leaks, even if you know where they are. Get some simple green and take it to the car wash. A steam cleaner works even better.

There is nothing inherently leaky with a C4 if the gaskets and seals are in good condition. My C4 doesn't leak anywhere. Clean it and find out where it's leaking. Most leaks can be fixed without removing the trans.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Thanks. I am hoping for a warmer day so I can start clean up.

Truck was parked for a couple weeks and now wont crank. There is no fuel between the fuel pump and the carb. Havent checked in the line between the tank and pump. Thought it was some wild coincidence that I shut it off as it was running out of gas but I put a few gallons in it and still nothing. Fuel pump is new.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't say it is prone to leaks.There have only been a couple of leaks on my C4 in the 33 years I've had it. Once it started leaking really bad from where the transfer case adapter mates to the transmission. Somehow the adapter attaching bolts loostened up. I cleaned and locktighted them and the leak completly cleared up. Another was the double lipped seal in the transfer case adapter. Ithe transmission fluid didn't come out on the floor but overfilled the transfer case.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
We woke up to about 3-4" of snow this morning. Not typical Memphis weather! Got to get this Bronco cleaned up soon.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Been making a little progress...mostly TLC stuff to get it running reliably.

What is the most effective way to remove about 4 inches (haha) of existing paint / body filler? I have access to a media blaster. Also have 60 gallon compressor in the garage if I would be better off stripping it here.

Hoping to get some pictures up soon!

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Finally made a little progress. Went out to wake up the bronco and cruise around the block. Didn't crank very easily and then ran ok at idle but almost died when any throttle was applied. Didn't take long to find the gas shooting out the front of the accelerator rod plunger plate. Pulled the carb, soaked it and rebuilt it. ..........most of the way. Man that thing was nasty. I can't believe the engine would even run. I'll finish assembling it today. Only had a few minutes to mess with it yesterday.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Running pretty good now. No more dumping gas in carb to start it up. Windshield and gasket is next. Still looking for suspension lift and roll cage.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Went out to take the bronco for a spin and it wouldn't crank! Dumped a little gas in carb and fired right up then died when gas burned off. Replaced mechanical fuel pump (warranty up this month) and nothing.

Ran about 2' of fuel hose from pump to a can of fresh gas on the ground below pump and nothing. Will the pump pull the fuel up or does the can need to be up higher?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hey Mud. Mine was doing the exact same thing a few weeks back. Was driving me crazy to not be able to diagnose the problem. Tried all the same things you did. Finally I poured a little gas in the carb, jumped back in, cranked it and while i was cranking, had a buddy shoot a steady stream of carb cleaner down in the carb (he kept spraying for 8-10 secs and i kept feathering the throttle as it chugged n sputtered) This kept it going long enough to do what seemed like "priming" the fuel system. Started pulling gas properly and ran perfectly after that. Worth a shot!

*where are your pics man?!

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Hey Mud. Mine was doing the exact same thing a few weeks back. Was driving me crazy to not be able to diagnose the problem. Tried all the same things you did. Finally I poured a little gas in the carb, jumped back in, cranked it and while i was cranking, had a buddy shoot a steady stream of carb cleaner down in the carb (he kept spraying for 8-10 secs and i kept feathering the throttle as it chugged n sputtered) This kept it going long enough to do what seemed like "priming" the fuel system. Started pulling gas properly and ran perfectly after that. Worth a shot!

Ha! I definitely need to get some pics in here.

Thanks for the advice. I may have given up a little early. It was raining and I was standing in the drip line of the barn roof. Got a little tired of being wet and cold and couldn't roll the bronco back enough to stay dry. Got it back in the barn now so I'm good rain of shine.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
I should be the proud new-to-me owner of 3.5 WH rockcrawler coils and 11 leaf springs before long. I am going to pick up a bushing kit as mine are the originals.

What route should I go to keep steering true? I know there are a few different options. I MAY be looking at a Trail Proof steering set-up as well but not sure.

Let me know if you need other info

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN

All i can figure is that the gas had gone bad. Ran a 20oz bottle of fresh gas through carb before realizing the pump WAS in fact working. Gas in tank smelled a bit funky but I figured it would burn. HA! Hopefully I didn't try long enough to foul up anything in the engine. Siphoned out the gas in the tank and now need a 28 hour day so I can put some fresh gas in and see what happens!