• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco weight

92116steve

Loc.
San Diego
Hi guys I need help. I need to get a ballpark weight for my bronco so I can buy the right springs for my coilovers. The bronco is all steel body with a steel top. No doors. 3 link front and rear with 37 inch tires and a spare mounted on the rear tire carrier connected to the pre runner bumper. front pre runner style bumper. I need total weight and corner sprung and corner un sprung weight. The truck scale next to my house is broken for the time being. hood is fiberglass.

DSC01341.JPG

Terkish

try a metal scrap yard, or the local dump. both of them should have weigh stations. the dump near me will even weigh you for free so i might try a dump first.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If you know a state trooper, some of them carry portable scales for checking overloaded trucks. That'll give you the 4 corners, the options above will only give you the total.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Steve, the first thing you need to know is that no matter what, you will never get the spring rate exactly right on the first go round, so understand that you will need to get new springs in the future, accept it now.

Second, without knowing what axles you're running we can't know unsprung weight (we'll assume D44/9" since you didn't state otherwise).

That being said, it sounds like you're pretty close to 50/50% weight balance, although the back is probably a bit heavier than the front (depending on the engine/tranny/axles).

Guessing total weight in the 4000# range, lets say 2000 front/2000 rear.

So 2000# on the front, minus 250# axle, 50# of links and C/O per side and 250# of tires/rim = 275# unsprung and 725# sprung weight per corner front.

Similar numbers in back, although more like 250# and 750#.

Probably 350/250 in front and 350/225 in back will get you close to start.
Joe

OP
OP

92116steve

Loc.
San Diego
I really appreciate the input!!! trussed 44/9" np435 d20 #7" spare prerunner rear bumper Local scale here is broke will try the dump but I will use your #s as a starting point.