• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame Ends

Todoubled

I've read about guys sliding 2x4" square tube into the frame ends for reinforcement. I have one good end and the rest are all tore up. I measured the good end and it comes to about 2.5"x3.75". My square tube measures 2x4 outside on the outside. I'm curious how you guys got the tube to "slip right in". Any help would be appreciated as I need to fix my frame. Did i get the wrong 2x4 tube?
Thanks Todd

mws eb

Loc.
Forest Hill MD
Many have used 2x4 tube for attaching their homemade bumpers. I had one end that was bent a little and just pried it open so the 2x4 slide in. This is on a '77, not sure if frame dimensions were differant on earlier models. As for reinforcing, you might want plate the sides to box the end of the frame.
Mike

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I boxed and capped the front frame ends, welded nuts on the inside of the cap to hold the bumper on. I wouldn't suggest capping the rear as you would never be able to get to the nut on the rear body mount.
the 2x4 doesn't fit very well without shiming the gap.

Attachments

• Rocklight1.JPG
    Rocklight1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Rocklight2.JPG
    Rocklight2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN2263.jpg
    DSCN2263.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 107

knack

Contributor
I boxed and capped the front frame ends, welded nuts on the inside of the cap to hold the bumper on. I wouldn't suggest capping the rear as you would never be able to get to the nut on the rear body mount.
the 2x4 doesn't fit very well without shiming the gap.

That looks really clean. Nice work!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did a PO modify the frame rails? I did the 2x4 (outside dimension) stock and it was a perfect fit on the front.

OP
OP
T

Todoubled

other than pulling the bumper (without removing the hardware) off the rig the frame hasnt been modified. Looks like they tried to pull something and ripped the bumper clean off, so the mounting holes are all f'ed up. Figured I'd try the 2x4 trick and flatted out what is left of the frame ends. It would be a little stronger, look clean, and fix my problem. By the way the frame is from a 77. There is just no way that 2x4 is going to fit in it, its too tall and not wide enough.