• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
Ok friends, I have a problem. My alternator died, or at least my volt meter started going down as the batter died, recharge the batter and it would start at above 12 volts then go down as the batter died.

autozone said my alternator was dead. so I bought a new alternator and replaced the ignition module. my new alternator has a ground wire, hot red wire a yellow wire. I hooked them up as per the direction made the belt as tight as I could get it and bam, nothing no charging, took the alternator back and they replaced it. hooked the next one up and same problem, with a fully charged batter the volt meter reads above 12 volts but when hooked to a multi meter the alternator is not charging.

Im taking the alternator back tom. can you guys give me some suggestions as to what else I should be chasing. mabe the alternator isnt the problem? I just dont know. Im positive I hooked it up right so please give me some ideas as to what to look at next.

Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What type of alternator is it, stock or upraded to internal regulator? I'm asking because those wire colors are not stock. If stock (1G) it won't work without a working voltage regulator.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can measure the output of the voltage regulator on the FLD terminal of the alternator. It should be close to battery voltage if the battery is somewhat discharged. If the battery is fully charged this voltage will be less. The key must be ON during this measurement but the engine doesn't need to be running. Very low or no voltage indicates a problem with the regulator or wiring.

OP
OP
B

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
thanks viper, one more place to start. just replaced the voltage regulator though, so I hope thats not the problem

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you just do the Centech install too? Has it worked at all since the new harness was put in?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention that the reason I asked that is that the large Red and Yellow wires in a Centech harness are the charging loop. Not the contoller (Field) circuit. Sounds like you might be missing a wire.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
from what I can tell, ive got a ground wire to the alternator, stator wire, large yellow power wire and an fld wire. according to the instruction there are no other wires.

* it has worked fine since the centech install, the install was 2 years ago, this problem just came up last week. oreillys just replaced the alternator a 40amp, which bench tested fine, but they still replaced it with a 60 amp alt.

the voltage reg in new, I also tested 2 other out of the box voltage regulators.

* on the multimeter with a fully charged battery it reads 12.60

I'll try the other test mentioned above and see what happens.

**autozone put the truck on a tester while the vehicle was running and said alternator is fine but showing a bad voltage regulator. then tried 2 other new ones and nothing changed.

ANY IDEAS BRONCO GODS?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok. Time to start looking at the regulator wiring. Check for 12V on the "S" terminal with the key ON. Also check for 12V on the "A" terminal. No voltage=no working regulator.

Attachments

• alt-reg.jpg
    alt-reg.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
B

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
viper you are the man... bad regulator again. put a third reg on and worked . im looking at 14.1 volts. now if only you lived in NC and could help with the gear/locker/axle install.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm sure there's lots of folks back in that area that would be willing to lend a hand.