• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

late model steering wheel/ horn

NM Bronco

My 75 bronco horn pad is really bad. Purchased a later model ( mid 90's) steering wheel. The 75 wheel has a single pin to run horn. The later one as 2 pins. Can i make it work? The new wheel is really nice. Thanks for your help.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I put an 80's wheel on my 74 ( 2 pins ) and it works fine but I have not as of yet gotten the turn signal canceling to work. On my 66 (1 pin) I'm eventually going to do the same thing I'm solving the pin problem by swapping to the later (2 pin ) style wiring harness in the column. The two pin version uses a horn relay and the one pin version does not. It would not be a bad idea to add a relay anyway.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My 75 bronco horn pad is really bad. Purchased a later model ( mid 90's) steering wheel. The 75 wheel has a single pin to run horn. The later one as 2 pins. Can i make it work? The new wheel is really nice. Thanks for your help.

If you can get the pin to line up with one track then all you need to do is ground the other track to the wheel/column.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

Viper.. Thank goodness you are on our side...so the horn ring in the bronco works by grounding the horn? Is that right? I thought the pin in the column was positive... looks like i was wrong. I will look at the schematic tonight. Thanks again.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viper.. Thank goodness you are on our side...so the horn ring in the bronco works by grounding the horn? Is that right? I thought the pin in the column was positive... looks like i was wrong. I will look at the schematic tonight. Thanks again.

On the ones with a horn relay ('73 or '74 and up) and a single horn wire in the column a ground completes the circuit. If you were to put a test light on the pin it would light up.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

Thanks Viper.. i will figure out a way to do it as you suggested. Wish i could come wash your car or something for all the help you have given me and the work load reduction!! Ha!. I really do thank you.

66fora69er

Contributor
I bet I blew 3 or 4 fuses when I was trying to figure this out. My wheel had all the cruise stuff on it as well. once I cut all that away it was pretty easy to figure out. no relay needed. Good luck