• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing rock slider with nerb bar good idea or bad?

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I was wondering if anyone has installed one of this 1/4 inch rock sliders on their rocker panel. Any draw backs to the install? Any problems with rust? How strong is it if it is attached to tin metal (rocker panel)? What would you recommend?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Depends on how hardcore you are. If you're a super hardcore crawler, most guys will tell you to zap off your rockers and build frame-mounted sliders.

I do some crawling but I admit to picking easier lines and try not to break stuff when I go wheeling. I run the WCB rocker guards and they've taken some hard hits that merely scuff the paint on them. The BCB rock skis are probably the strongest bolt-on sliders you can buy. With any bolt-on armor there's always the risk of rust forming underneath. Best bet is to seal them to the body somehow.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The 1/4" sliders will hold up pretty good. Lots of folks running them. Drop from several feet onto a rock and anything goes, however. Ultimately, its still only braced by the rockers and front and rear door posts...if they are solid to start with then all bets are off. The 1/4" stuff will hold up to slides, stumps, rocks and medium abuse. As mentioned, many folks use some sort of silicone sealer to mount them. Body panel adhesive would make a great PERMANENT sealer and bonding agent (coupled with some rivets).

I used some HD SS rivet-nuts imbedded into my Line-X-ed rockers to hold my skids. I can remove them if needed. I used some closed sell foam to the skid to help to tightly seal to the rocker...but the Line-X does a great job of protecting the rocker. HTH.

Scrapper_MV

Mine are tig welded to the door sill, rear fenders and the door jams. Not tied into the frame except for 1/4" aluminum skid plates that protect the gas tanks. I have slammed them into sharp rocks. Just scratched the paint is all.

But I do want to add some tubing to the side of them to protect the doors from trees and tall rocks.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I mounted the 1/4" BC's as per their instructions then welded on nerfs. I also tied to the frame on the inside with 2 flanged mounts so they can be removed if needed. Very solid this way.
6858ModifiedBCskifrnt.jpg

6858ModifiedBCskiunder.jpg

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Since those pics I replaced the non-skid tape with "cheese grater" dimpled steps to minimize slipping when wet.