• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 explorer swap air box maf

bronc50

I have searched but cannot find a answer
can i use a 96 explorer air cleaner box and pipe for my swap with the stang computer
the explorer has the air cleaner that has the built in maf and the act in the hose would just have to splice to harness
also why is it nessesary to remove the elbow from the throttle body every pic i see has no elbow. i also have the complete upper and lower off a 97 that has a elbow that plugs the egr would this be a beter elbow to use?? i really want the explorer air box and tube fits perfect.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The calibration of the MAF is different. It won't run right unless it is chipped for the Explorer MAF.
No elbow removal needed, just trying to clean up the intake path. Intake is there on the Explorer because it need to clear the A/C unit.
The '97 Explorer could have either the internal or external EGR. External all you need to do is remove the elbow and the the EGR is gone. Internal you will need to treat the EGR like a mustang. Either an EGR eliminater plate or add an EGR spacer.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
You can run with or without the elbow, mine ran into the oil fill neck with the elbow on, so I removed it.

OP
OP
bronc50

bronc50

the 96 elbow is internal the 97 elbow blocks the egr passage from up the upper intake however the hole is still in the upper just gets blocked by elbow this way i would still need to block the egr valve how do i go about it the 96 elbow plug the upper at the bottom and use a egr cap plate to cover the egr valve.. Is it nessasary to remove the egr system and why

OP
OP
bronc50

bronc50

has any one ever got the chip calibrated for the explorer maf

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
the 96 elbow is internal the 97 elbow blocks the egr passage from up the upper intake however the hole is still in the upper just gets blocked by elbow this way i would still need to block the egr valve how do i go about it the 96 elbow plug the upper at the bottom and use a egr cap plate to cover the egr valve.. Is it nessasary to remove the egr system and why

yeah i think that sounds right. Plug the upper and put a plate on the EGR. You can run the EGR. Just one more thing to break.

781887849_MXVF7-M.jpg

OP
OP
bronc50

bronc50

The calibration of the MAF is different. It won't run right unless it is chipped for the Explorer MAF.
No elbow removal needed, just trying to clean up the intake path. Intake is there on the Explorer because it need to clear the A/C unit.
The '97 Explorer could have either the internal or external EGR. External all you need to do is remove the elbow and the the EGR is gone. Internal you will need to treat the EGR like a mustang. Either an EGR eliminater plate or add an EGR spacer.

i have read that the 94/95 mustang maf is 70mm and am guessing that i could put it in the explorer air box and is compatible on the a9l
Can anyone confirm this??? also the list says
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF sensor is also found on:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
i have read that the 94/95 mustang maf is 70mm and am guessing that i could put it in the explorer air box and is compatible on the a9l
Can anyone confirm this??? also the list says
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF sensor is also found on:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A

Wont work unless your ECU is from a 94/95 Mustang.

The MAF has to match the computer.

A9L computer will be expecting a 55mm MAF.

(someone correct me if i'm wrong)

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I would recommend just putting a cone filter on the explorer throttle body and call it good. Not sure you're going to have much room on the passenger side for the Explorer airbox anyway.

If you really want fresh/cold air intake, I saw something really cool in a thread recently but can't remember where - someone put a cone filter on top of the passenger side inner fender and then built a box around it and cut a hole in the hood and put a scoop on it.

I found one of these on a 5.0 Ford car in the junkyard. Crown Vic or Mercury something-rather but you'd have to do a flip intake because I dont think it would fit on the passenger side... maybe it would.

747924802_v6Pm6-M.jpg

The MAF housing is built in and matches the stock Mustang MAF. I bought a MAF off ebay from a Mustang then swapped in the housing and sensor just to be sure.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
i dunno - this one is beyond me - you're on your own.

If you do the research and think it will work then go for it.

definitely let us know how it goes.

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
has any one ever got the chip calibrated for the explorer maf

I am in the middle of gathering parts for my swap, I have a moded crate engine so I used non stock components, gt40 u/l, 65mm TB(explorer) and a 70mm MAF calbrated 24lbs(but was originally from an explorer),I called JMS chip and had them burn me a chip to have all the diff components and engine mods match up, $278 an sct6600 chip-granted I have not started yet, but eb70 used them and had great success ....I will letya know in about 3 weeks

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
That's where headlight plugs in. I wanted a clear air path.

I used the existing headlight hole on the driver's side but enlarged it a bit. My wires do stick a little bit into the hole but I think there is plenty of room around it for air to get in... hopefully.

747923088_oYvoL-M.jpg

definitely haven't noticed a problem so far.