• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering column wiring

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
had to replace the shift column. After 36 years of dependable service it broke putting it into park. Doesn't anyone make dependable parts anymore? ;D (that was a joke)

while I had it apart, I replaced the wiring harness as well. I documented the wiring connections but now i'm second guess my work. The harness was painted (the PO had painted inside the cab with little regard to the prep work i.e. taping off non-paint areas) It may be possible I have some wires in the wrong place.

does anyone have any documentation on the wire harness connection from the steering column?

Thanks in advance

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
'69 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
orange-blue=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #5
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
green-orange=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #9
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-yellow=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

'72-'73 Column Connections
green=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #282
yellow-black=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #283
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-yellow=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

'74-'77 Column Connections
green=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #282
yellow-black=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #283
blue-yellow=12v horn relay to horn switch, circuit #1
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
blue-red=12v from headlight switch to PRNDL light, #19

Last edited:

eric0o1

pages 44 & 46 may be useful. In the earlier columns, Viperwolf states blue/white, I have Blue/Yellow. Just a heads up for that little difference. While the diagrams I have show the harness side, this should help give you a good visual. Also, ignore the circut #'s on my diagrams, those #'s only pertain to our harness.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10114.pdf

eric0o1

I dunno why but it was bothering me so I had go back and check out the color difference. I was wondering why I went with Blue/Yellow instead of the Blue/White and went back over my notes from a couple years ago. Usually I go with the most common color, which in this case would have been Blue/White. I went with Blue/yellow since we are using a horn relay instead of passing power to the horn through the column like Ford did with the early columns. Blue/Yellow, like stated in viperwolf's earlier reply, was used when the horn relay was used.

Not that any of that is pertains to the original question, but I spent almost 30 minutes going over old notes, and had to tell someone. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I realized after my initial post I didn't state which column I have: stock '74

I have it connected here's what I have:

What works:

Left turn signal front and rear

Hazards - left and right front only

PRND21 light - works

What doesn't work:

Right side turn signal

Right & Left rear hazard

I checked the bulbs by moving the right side bulbs to the left so the bulbs are good.

Also..when I turn off the key, the flasher still clicks on/off. the hazard light is not engaged and the turn signal is in neutral position.

Any advice would be great. I thought I was doing the proactive thing by replacing that harness, I should have left it alone.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Well, that's gonna take some thinking to unravel. How is everything else, brake lights, horn, turn signal indicators?

Flasher clicking is an indication that it is grounded maybe through a bulb or maybe through the horn circuit.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Dang I can't get the manual to load.....I'll try again ..
Ok it loaded up the 2nd time .. Man 80 pages I'll be hoping I have lots of beer and it snows again ..

OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
tracing electrical issues is not my strong point.

I thought I did the right thing by labeling each wire as i pulled it out of the connector.

Then I get the Painless wire diagram, and it shows same colored wire in the opposite side of the connector...I wired it like the Painless diagram shows and nothing worked, so I went back to my diagram and i have some functionality.

I think there is a short somewhere, possibly in the steering wheel area. I'll have to take it apart tomorrow after work

eric0o1

the diagram in the manual shows the chassis harness side of the connection, as stated in post #3. If you are re-wiring your column connector, what the connector in the manual plugs into, then the pin out of your column connector will be the exact opposite of whats in the manual. Does that make sense? Sorry for the confusion and not fully explaining that earlier.

It certainly sounds like there is a short in the column if your flasher is activating when when both switches (turn and hazard) are in the "off" positions

OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
yes! there is a connector (blue/black stripe) that is broken. It is shorting out on the top bolt connecting the shift column to the steering column.

So when I get this replaced, the wires from the column should mirror the chassis side connector.

(Example: red with black stripe should connect together.)

Do I understand you correctly?

thanks!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So when I get this replaced, the wires from the column should mirror the chassis side connector.

Yes. There are a couple pins on the chasis side that have two wires though.

Attachments

• c-321.jpg
    c-321.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 210
OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Downloads

what is this part? I relay I guess because I drove around this afternoon and when I got home, it was was clicking. Would not stop until I disconnected the harness from the steering column. I heard it before when I was working on the harness, but it would stop after a short time. I thought it was from me working on the connector

I can't leave the harness disconnected or I won't have brake lights.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Downloads

what is this part? I relay I guess because I drove around this afternoon and when I got home, it was was clicking. Would not stop until I disconnected the harness from the steering column. I heard it before when I was working on the harness, but it would stop after a short time. I thought it was from me working on the connector

I can't leave the harness disconnected or I won't have brake lights.

That's the horn relay. The blue-yellow wire has a problem.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
that wire has the broken connector in the harness. so I will disconnect the relay until I get the replacement harness.

thanks for the information

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It seems to be somewhat common. Mine had one copper strand poking out that would make contact with ground and blow the horn at odd times, like making some left turns. It took me a long time to find the problem.