• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tapping heater hose fitting

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
I'm not planning on running a heater box, so I don't have anywhere to hook up a heater hose. I was thinking of pulling the bottom heater hose fitting out of my explorer water pump (it's pressed in) and tapping the hole for a pipe plug. The other fitting will obviously go to the crossover on the intake. Bad idea? Anyone attempted this? I know I could buy a rubber plug to go over the hose fitting, but I figured I'd ask..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should work if it doesnt your out 1 water pump. I'd probably just connect the intake outlet to straight to the water pump fitting. but I can see plugging both would make a cleaner install.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had another (non-explorer) water pump that had threaded in hose nipples instead of pressed in nipples. Plugging the intake, no problem. I would spend a few minutes with a couple of pipe plugs and a digital caliper to make sure there is enough metal to drill the pump out to the necessary size for the tap and then still have enough metal to be tapped. I don't have parts in my hand to check, sounds like you might.

As for removing the water flow, it will be fine. same as turning off the heat control valve. There is still the bypass hose to circulate water until the engine warms up. The small block was originally designed to be put in vehicles when the heater was still an option. It will be fine without it.

OP
OP
B

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
If I get a chance this afternoon I'll take a closer look and see if it looks do-able. It's a used pump, so if I screw it up I'll just get a new one and leave it be. I would only attempt this on something that I'm not worried about ruining.:D