• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 piece gasket

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Any of you guys use a 1 peice gasket for your oil pan? I just put one on and the next day it is dripping oil at the rear of the pan by the crank. Yes I put a small bit of sealer at the corners of the front and rear of the pan. I havent fired the engine yet and it is still mostly empty of oil. Now I had spun the engine upside down on a stand for a little bit to put the pan on in the first place. Do I need to pull the pan and redo it before putting the engine into the Bronco? Im wondering if the oil was dripping because of my have it upside down for a bit. What a pita. I believed I wouldnt need to put any sealer on the 1 piece gasket.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I used the one-piece gasket with no sealer and have no leaks. I do have an aluminum oil pan though.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I use the 1-piece, no leaks.
My question is, what leads you to believe that the gasket is leaking (and not coming from somewhere else) if the motor hasn't been fired and its not full of oil yet?

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Sorry, Its got about 1000 miles or so on it and I was switching the pan etc. on it before I put it in my Bronco. I had drained the oil out of it (im sure some was still in it) then turned the engine upside down on the stand , removed the old pan and put on another pan (screw in dip stick tube). Everything is really clean on this engine, today I notcied that a bit of oil was dripping down from the rear. Im probably over analyzing this thing

01JLH

Did you put sealant on your flywheel mounting bolts? 302's and 5.0's have to have sealant on them or oil will leak around threads. I don't know about 351's but I would think the same applies.

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
I just put my 1 piece in, Fel pro, and no leaks so far. Where is the oil coming from? I usually put a little dab on the corners near the edges of the main seals front and rear just to make sure the pan isn't the trouble.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem for about 10 years, seal flywheel/flex plate bolts, replaced the gasket 2 or 3 times, replaced rear main seal twice, dab of silicone in the corners, torque bolts with torque wrench checked pan for flatness hammered holes flat.

This was with a Bronco oil pan, I swapped in a Mustang 5.0L oil pan and no more leaks.

Might have something to do with the sealing surface the Mustang pan is flat and the Bronco pan has ridges.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Wipe it off then roll the motor over again. This time watch it to see where the oil is coming from. I worked with a guy once that would reseal and sell used motors. He would reverse the hoses on a clean shop vac and pressureize the motor to check for leaks befor selling them. Sounds like a good idea.

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Thanks for the ideas. I did loctite the flywheel bolts and used a bit of sealer on them near the bolt head side of the threads. There may have been some residual oil that had kind of leaked out when I was first messing with the pan. i will fire it and see when its in the bronco. if i have too i will reseal it, always somthing .

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had the same problem for about 10 years, seal flywheel/flex plate bolts, replaced the gasket 2 or 3 times, replaced rear main seal twice, dab of silicone in the corners, torque bolts with torque wrench checked pan for flatness hammered holes flat.

This was with a Bronco oil pan, I swapped in a Mustang 5.0L oil pan and no more leaks.

Might have something to do with the sealing surface the Mustang pan is flat and the Bronco pan has ridges.

Hey ransil, how were you able to use a Mustang oil pan? Didn't you have clearance issues with the front axle? Can you post picture of your under side of your truck?
Thanks Jeff

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

>>>> techinally the later one-piece gasket are for use with a smooth rail pan>>http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=2990 ... Ford claims >> The Oil Pan Stamping That Is Used With A Four Piece Oil Pan Gasket Is Different Than The Stamping That Is Used With The One Piece Oil Pan Gasket. The Four Corners Where The Oil Pan Turns Down To Go Around The Timing Cover Or The Rear Main Cap Are Sharper On The Four Piece Gasket Oil Pan Than The One Piece Style Oil Pan. For A proper Seal You MUST Use The Gasket Style That Is Appropriate For The Oil Pan You Are Using. .... I have however seen in the past one piece pan gaskets with different part #'s that are for use with the earlier style pan stampings............

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Hey ransil, how were you able to use a Mustang oil pan? Didn't you have clearance issues with the front axle? Can you post picture of your under side of your truck?
Thanks Jeff

>>>> I used Ford racing oil pan kit M-6675-A50>>http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6128 ....this pan is the '91-'95 mustang production pan shape minus the low oil sending unit port(my pan below has a fitting that I had tig welded on for my oil preluber) ....cons are>>you can only use this pan on '83 & up blocks with the hole above the drivers side pan rail & it only holds 5 quarts versus 6,but it seals way better especially when you use the rail stiffeners that tie the bolts together..... cheapest place to get these is at John Bleakley Ford or Tousley Ford(tousley part depot sells OEM parts online at 10% over cost ,but for Ford racing parts you need to call & talk to one of the 2 Mikes that work there)..... both sell Ford Racing parts cheaper than jegs or summit.........pic below is mine at stock height & I've never had any clearance issue with the axle/diff ........ edit> 2nd pic shows the production type rail stiffener for use with the smooth rail pans that tie all the bolts together on each side... Ford motorsport/racing used to sell them seperately ,but discontinued them... they are on cars/trucks in the junk yard or might still be available as a OEM replacement part

Attachments

• P5111397.JPG
    P5111397.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_0361.JPG
    100_0361.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I switched to a stock style gasket. I hate them. The rubber portions always want to squeeze out when the pan is tightened down.

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
>>>> I used Ford racing oil pan kit M-6675-A50>>http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6128 ....this pan is the '91-'95 mustang production pan shape minus the low oil sending unit port(my pan below has a fitting that I had tig welded on for my oil preluber) ....cons are>>you can only use this pan on '83 & up blocks with the hole above the drivers side pan rail & it only holds 5 quarts versus 6,but it seals way better especially when you use the rail stiffeners that tie the bolts together..... cheapest place to get these is at John Bleakley Ford or Tousley Ford(tousley part depot sells OEM parts online at 10% over cost ,but for Ford racing parts you need to call & talk to one of the 2 Mikes that work there)..... both sell Ford Racing parts cheaper than jegs or summit.........pic below is mine at stock height & I've never had any clearance issue with the axle/diff ........ edit> 2nd pic shows the production type rail stiffener for use with the smooth rail pans that tie all the bolts together on each side... Ford motorsport/racing used to sell them seperately ,but discontinued them... they are on cars/trucks in the junk yard or might still be available as a OEM replacement part

Hey 76 bronco J, just so I'm under standing you correctly. I can run with the stock 91 Mustang pan that is already on my 91 5.0 Mustang motor that I'm going to swap next month? I don't have to swap my old leaky 72 Bronco pan an or buy the pan kit off the Ford Racing site?

Thanks again for all your help and sorry Nolan that I'm kind of hijacking your thread. haha Jeff

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Hey 76 bronco J, just so I'm under standing you correctly. I can run with the stock 91 Mustang pan that is already on my 91 5.0 Mustang motor that I'm going to swap next month? I don't have to swap my old leaky 72 Bronco pan an or buy the pan kit off the Ford Racing site?

Thanks again for all your help and sorry Nolan that I'm kind of hijacking your thread. haha Jeff

>>>>> yep ,your good to go with the '91 pan.........

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey that's great because my stock Bronco pan was beat! One less thing off my list to do on the 5.0 swap!

Once again thanks for all your help!!
Jeff