• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wilmington, NC Bronco builder?

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and honestly new to EBs as I have never owned one. I am a huge fan however and plan on breaking in to the cult later this year. I was wondering before I went the painfully inconsistent Craigslist route if anyone knew of a reliable and affordable mechanic, either full time or hobbyist, in the Wilmington, NC area, who may be interested in lending guidance, expertise, and/or labor to an EB purchase and restoration (for compensation of course). I should say in advance that I'm on a budget and own not a single tool. I like challenges however and am a tremendously hard worker. Thank you in advance. Strike Hold. Lou

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Lou - welcome. I can honestly say that this site will be your best resource. The guys and gals here can help guide you through anything from a full off resto to big modifications to the smallest of tasks.

Check out www.nickstrix.com for a NC builder that is very highly respected on this board and a great example of what can be done today.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Thanks for the line on Nicks. Great looking website and highly recommended...so much in fact I'm told he is 18 months away from taking any new builds. Not sure how accurate that is however. I will give those guys a ring and see if they can recommend someone in ILM though. Much appreciated.

medwards01

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Big Lou, Hello and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place to get all the skinny on Early Broncos. Best forum around, hands down!! I too live in Wilmington, NC and own a 74 Bronco that is a perpetual project. In fact, I nicknamed it the $ Money Pit $....A good repair shop I can recommend in Wilmington is The Car Doctor (910-452-0311). They service and repair our other vehicles for those things that I can't do myself. I am sure they would be a good resource for recommendations on who could do restorations in the Wilmington area. You will find that early broncos are relatively easy to work on and part of the joys (headaches) of owning one is wrenching on it yourself. Another great website you definitely want to check out is Carolina Broncos.com and its parent club Carolina Broncos 4x4. They are a great group of guys and gals who are very passionate and knowledgeable about Broncos. All of them are willing and able to lend a hand to fellow Broncoholics.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Awesome lead on the Carolina Bronco forums. Thanks. I will check out the Car Doctor when I get stateside. I have found several places that look like they have potential over the last few days of searching the net so between them and Craigslist I suspect I will be able to get all the work done. Now I just need to find the rust free project truck. L

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Hands down for anything Bronco related in NC, or should I say the Southeast Nickstrixs is second to none.

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Hey Lou, I live in Wilmington NC too (Monkey Junction). I have a '71 Sport. If you need any advice, or want to look at my bronco to clarify anything, let me know. I'm at jdowns67@gmail.com. The best advice I can give is to learn how to do everything you can yourself. Get some tools. There are pleant on here that will help with advice if you get in a jam.

JD

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Jdowns! Just the man I was looking for. How do you like Monkey Junction? I'm thinking about buying a house there this year. I appreciate the offer of letting me peep your setup and maybe even plagiarize some of your specs and fabrication. I will be in touch sir.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
I would love to make the meet and greet however duty calls. Regretfully, I will still be in Afghanistan plus I suspect if I showed up in my Hummer I would get the stink eye from all the EB crew. I think however I could handle it :)