• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inline six carb selection

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
My 200 six is back from the machine shop and I have a carb problem. The 200 is out of a 68 Mustang. The plan was to rebuild and use the original Mustang Autolite 1100 carb and possibly go to a 2 barrel down the road. The problem is this, I used a head from an 81 fairmont 200 because it has larger valves and hardened seats. The carb I have is the original Mustang one and it has a 1 7/16" throttle bore. The bore in the late model head is 1 3/4". I know I could just bolt up the smaller carb to the intake but why not take advantage of the larger bore? The 1100 Autolite is not exactly known for being a great carb. So now its time to make some decisions. Do I rebuild his carb and use it?, Find a larger 1 barrel? Or do I use an adapter and go to a 2 barrel? If I end up going two barrel, I have a 2 barrel Motorcraft 2100 and a Holley Weber 38 DGES Carburetor its a Two Barrel Synchronus Carburetor. This is on a daily driven Bronco and to make it a little more complicated, I'm converting to a C4 at the same time so I have kick down linkages to think about as well. So what to do?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I would go with the 2bbl. carb, and toss in a set of headers while I was at it, just to let the 200 breathe. Check out >>> 6=8

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Have you put the head back on yet Jeremy?

Not yet, I painted my Block and set the head onto it but nothing is assembled. This thing has been apart now for several months and I was getting all of the parts out to put it together. Thats when I noticed the Bore on the head was larger than the carb. I did more reading late last night and cant find any Autolite 1100 that used the larger bore. I think I would have to go to a carter for that and most of what I'm seeing for the carter YF carbs look to be Emission type carbs. I guess this would be explained by the head being from 81.

Richard, I did get a little more info for you about the engine. I was incorrect when I told you the head was milled 30 thousandths , It was actually 60 thousandths. The intake valves are 1.75" and the Exhaust valves are 1.38". According to my Ford 6 engine handbook, the combustion chamber volume was 62cc's before the head was milled down. When we did the Head back in September or October, we figured that milling it 60 thousandths should bring or combustion chamber volume down closer to 50 or 52cc's that was in the stock range for 1968. I wanted to regain the compression I was loosing by going with the later head. I'm also going to try to get the cam specs for you from the machine shop today. Maybe running the info through the desktop dyno will help me decide how much carb I need. From all the reading I have done, it seems like too much carb can be just as big of a problem as not having enough carb. I also tried the carb calculator over at classic inline's and I figured a ball park figure of about 260 cfm carb would work. I really need to make some decisions. It would be nice if an inexpensive EFI option was available!

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Those measurements are more inline. The first ones were a little off. I'll fool with it today between sanding. If you go to a 2V, now is the time to machine and direct mount to the log. Clearance is at a minimum in the Bronco and not sure if it's going to fit under the hood with a bolt on adapter. Everything you read mainly deals with Mustangs, Mavericks. Bronco has it's own issue's. Lokar makes a cable setup that will solve the kickdown issue.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Might want to take a look at the holley 1946. I pulled a head and the carb off a early 80's mustang and thought about swapping it to my 66 170. I later ended up finding a good deal on a machined head with the same casting numbers as my 66 and went with that and rebuilt the autolite 1100

The 1946 is a bit encumbered with emmisions stuff of the day but with some tinkering you can get rid of it.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Look at the weber 32/36. Great staged 2V. I run one with an adapter and it clears the hood. Good mileage on one barrel and lots of power when the second barrel kicks in.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Look at the weber 32/36. Great staged 2V. I run one with an adapter and it clears the hood. Good mileage on one barrel and lots of power when the second barrel kicks in.

If you have an installed photo, I would love to see it. I believe that is the carb that langdon stovebolt sells rebuilt for $75. That would be nice on the wallet! What adapter are you using?

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
What carb did you end up using. I just bought a 67 Bronc with the 6cyl and the autolite. My Autolite is shot, so I wanted to have it rebuilt but I keep hearing that they are junk and to convert it. Right now I am looking at the weber carb from 6=8 but that is 600 bucks. Just wondering how you did with yours?

bmbm

carb

I agree with Explorer, if it was mine at that stage I would machine it for a direct mount 2v.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i have a 2v carb at home that i'm not using. i'll post up a pic and some specs when i get a chance.