• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best oil for engine Break-in

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I am getting close to attempting to start my new EFI motor and wanted to know the best oil for the break-in period. Also I was told run for 1000 miles and change, then another 1000, change and then every 3000. Does this sound correct?

Also, what oil for the new AOD?

Thanks,

OP
OP
forestguy

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I believe it is a roller cam but not roller rockers. It is a stock 88 Lincoln Town Car motor, but with mass air now.

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Just finished a build on a 351m and had it dynoed. We used regular dino juice and a pint of compcams engine break-in additive. Its got all the zinc and moly lubes. Turns the engine oil black, but the builder really likes that stuff and we flogged it pretty hard on the dyno to get it set up and after about 2 hours of hard runs we cut the oil filter apart and it was clean as a whistle.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
not to hijack the thread but it makes me wonder what the big auto companies do to break in there vehicles.. or do they just fill it up and drive it off the line and to the lot.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I just put in a new cam. I used ARP assembly lube. The machine shop that built the heads said to use Rotella non synthetic. I would change it after a short break in period.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I just put in a new cam. I used ARP assembly lube. The machine shop that built the heads said to use Rotella non synthetic. I would change it after a short break in period.

That is the key, "non synthetic" you want the rings etc to wear a little and seal, the synthetic lubes do not allow this. I use straight 30W nondetergent for break in's and change after cam breakn in(flat tapped) or after a few warm up cycles in the shop to check for leaks on rollers.

For the AOD, good luck, I haven't messed with autos much, but I would bet the same thing, use a good quality "dinosaur" oil for break in.