• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to get tranny pan gasket to not leak?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had my transmission rebuilt and sealed up with the old pan. Wasn't happy with my rattle can paint job on it so I removed it and had a quality job on it. I cleaned the surface of the tranny as well as the pan 100% clean. Inspected the pan for warpage, or places where the previous owner had tightened it to much and made humps where the bolts go. Looked flat and nice. So i replaced the tranny pan with a new gasket. Was told not to use any other sealer like silicone, etc...that it would seal fine with just the new gasket. Well..I think it must have leaked about 2 quarts out of the 4 so far that I put in. Wasn't even gonna try and fill it after I saw it leaking around most of the edges. Oh well..I drained it tonight and removed the pan. Gonna let it drip dry and clean the surface again really good. Whats the best gasket, sealer, etc to use so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks,

Blue71

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No sealer needed. Use a cork gasket. Make sure the bolt holes in the pan lip are not dimpled from over-torquing. If they are flaten them back out with a ball peen hammer. Get the biggest flat washers that will just fit between the rolled edges of the pan and use them under each bolt. Tighten the pan evenly around and not so much that it causes the gasket to bulge out.

An alternate method would be to make some pan edge stiffeners like on the later model engine oil pans.

Attachments

• Bronco 363s.jpg
    Bronco 363s.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 37

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I used the felpro and didn't have any issues with mine. Just torqued to the Haynes manual specs (don't remember what they are off hand) and didn't have any leaks.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How confident are you that it is the pan? I ask because I fought mine for months after a rebuild, even went to a B&M pan with several different gaskets and still had a leak. You could clean it off and watch it and never see a leak, drive it 100 miles and the bottom of the trans would have fluid all over it, never leaked enough to have to add fluid before I would try fixing it again, but enough to get everything wet and smell from hitting the exhaust. My leak was at the servo and was finally found when a transmission shop put it up on a rack and let it run in gear for quite while, seems it only leaked when at speed and had to be caught in the act when everything was still dry.

Thought I would throw this out there since you have tried a few times with no luck.

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
Could the bolts be loosening?
Mine need tightening every once in a while.

Thinking of adding lock washers.