• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door post thingie?

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
I have a 72 wagon.
Does anyone know what the thingie is that is on the driver side door post that has a wire connected that runs back inside?
Thx!
Aaron

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
Circled is the thingie. It has some writing on it, I think FoMoCo or something like that. Nothing identifying.
It is connected to the wire hanging there.
I just saw a pic of someone else's door post and didn't see it.
Thx
A

Attachments

• Door-thingie.jpg
    Door-thingie.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 155

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Is there anything in the door itself? First thought that came to my mind was dome light but I've not seen one like that.

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
Nothing in the door.
A screw on each side, I undid them and pulled and it is connected to the wire you see there, not attached to anything else, just the thingie attached to the wires.
I am about to start the Centech install and hoped to solve this little mystery.
Thx
A

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Well I can tell you that its not "needed". It was most likely a PO add on. You can safely remove this and weld up the hole if you wish.

HollywoodC

I think it is the sensor for the inside dome light. Sort of a magnetic pick up that turned the light on and off when you open and closed the door. You should be good taking Heus33's advice to weld I up if you dont need this feature.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
It's for the dome light. Had a 72 with the same thing. I even see the switch part for sale on E-Bay occasionally. Your choice, wire it in or do away with it. Your's is only the second one I've seen.

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
Well that makes sense, just never relate the words dome light and Bronco together.
Think I'll just tuck the wire back up in there just in case.
Thx for all the help.
A

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
AH.. So I own one of only 2, "Dome Light Switch" Broncos!!!

Let the bidding begin!!!

;D

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think yours is one of very few. I have had five and worked on many more and I have never seen one with a switch like that. I'd try to get it working if I were you. Having the dome light come on automatically would be nice. I may try to find one for mine.

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
Yes I will.
I'll wirei t up to some floor lights probably when I do the Centech.
That will be nice to have courtesy lights come on when the door is opened.
Thx for the idea!
A

Bulletman

I've got one in my '74 Ranger,,,,,, and the switch works, but as the top is gutted I've got no light to hook it to!---so make mine one of three ;D

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I don't think its a dome light switch, though that's what a lot of people think it is. It's the ambient air temperature sensor and part of the emissions system, only found on late '71 and all '72 models, and maybe in '73 (not sure). I've got it on my 72 wagon. Check out the threads below.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66645
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41124

I'll stand corrected, guess since most I've worked on had the emmisions pulled, PO's put a dome light switch there.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EMISSIONS? That's a bummer. It would be way cooler to have a light switch there. I guess you could pull it out and put a light switch there.

OP
OP
acmefl

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
Already looked it up.
West Marine has a cool little waterproof door activated switch that looks like it would fit pretty good.
Something else to add to the list!
A

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Yep, Tinytim has it right. It's not a dome light switch. It's the ambient air temp sensor. My '72 has one as well.