• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which trucks had an aod and 203

matt blaser

how common is it to find a truck with an aod and a 203 transfer case. does any one have a link where someone did a aod with a doubler or would i be better off doing the c6 with the doubler.

any one have a thread or link where the aod out of a 89-92 mustang was used.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
None.
Last year for the 203, '79
AOD debuted in '80. I don't think the AOD got a 4WD application until the mid 80's

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically none. I believe either the 208 or BW t cases were used AOD's really didnt get installed into 4x4's until about 86. But I believe the bolt pattern and spline counts are the same so it shouldnt be no big deal. Just check out the links section there are a few articles on the AOD.

mattt

Bronco Guru
From what I've seen when looking up flexplates I needed, it appears that the AOD was only in Big Broncos and possibly F100/150 in '81-'82. The later years use a different flexplate which make it appear as though they had a C6 trans.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Personnally I've never seen a AOD in any big bronco until after 85. As they were still using the C-6. After that it was AOD. Not sure about 2wds.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Light duty '83 F150 4wd with 302 (and a rudimentary computer control system even) had a non-electronic overdrive transmission. Not sure what it's designation was, but it was definitely an overdrive.
At least that's what I was remembering until I started typing and second-guessing myself that is. Now I'm not 100% sure. Just "pretty sure" about the fact that there was an "OD in the PRNDL indicator.

What a dog though! I think the diff ratios were something in the 3.2 range, but felt more like 2.70 somethings. Yuck. Even with 31" tires it was a dog.
Besides, the early Eighties were not the friend of horsepower.

Paul

mattt

Bronco Guru
Personnally I've never seen a AOD in any big bronco until after 85. As they were still using the C-6. After that it was AOD. Not sure about 2wds.

In my search of flexplates....it appeared in the mid to late 80's that the bronco went from C6 right to E4OD[or its predecessor if there is one]. I could see this based on which flexplate it showed the vehicle used. C6 & E4OD use the same flexplate....offset wise. C4 & AOD use the same flexplate.....offset wise.