• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Prep for EFI HO Swap for 302

dgold_881

Contributor
I've done a search on here but couldn't find the answer. Can my stock 76 302 block be converted in being a HO motor or do I need to get a newer block from a mustang? Also if I do have to get a new block will it fit up to my stock C4 tranny?

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes and no. To convert your engine to HO firing order usually a cam swap is needed 351W cams have the correct firing order. Or you can rewire it for your current cam. You will also need to swap out the dist gear on the EFI dist to a cast iron one to work with a flat tappet cam in either case unless you convert to a roller cam.
If you do get a new ie 5.0 engine then you will need a flexplate for it 164 tooth and 50 balance. If you keep the serp belt system you will also need to modify the raditor hose routing.

OP
OP
dgold_881

dgold_881

Contributor
So the easiest thing would be to get the roller cam and leave it how it is? Just add the EFI distributor?

Yes and no. To convert your engine to HO firing order usually a cam swap is needed 351W cams have the correct firing order. Or you can rewire it for your current cam. You will also need to swap out the dist gear on the EFI dist to a cast iron one to work with a flat tappet cam in either case unless you convert to a roller cam.
If you do get a new ie 5.0 engine then you will need a flexplate for it 164 tooth and 50 balance. If you keep the serp belt system you will also need to modify the raditor hose routing.

Last edited:

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
So the easiest thing would be to get the rollar cam and leave it how it is? Just add the EFI distributor?

the easiest and best solution would be to buy the linked hydraulic roller lifters and use a 5.0 roller cam.

or you could use a flat tappet rv cam with a 351w firing order and get a tfi moutn distributor with a cast gear

OP
OP
dgold_881

dgold_881

Contributor
So my stock block and heads are ok.. just update the roller lifters, TFI distributor and 5.0 roller cam?

the easiest and best solution would be to buy the linked hydraulic roller lifters and use a 5.0 roller cam.

or you could use a flat tappet rv cam with a 351w firing order and get a tfi moutn distributor with a cast gear

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
Technically, you don't even need to convert your block to the HO firing order or rewire the ECU. I am running SEFI with the standard firing order and it runs great. It could be smoother at idle but it is still 10 times better that a carb. At speed, the engine is spinning so fast you won't notice the different firing order. Just a thought...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Valve springs will also need to be changed to run a roller cam. Your best bet is to run a standard 351W cam.
As for SEFI If you try and use the old firing order you will have issues I think way more than just a rough idle as the firing orders are way different. I wouldnt run it that way. especailly at speed. I see it possibly leaning way out or just staying in rich mode because the wrong injectors are firing at the wrong times not to mention the wrong cylinder firing at the wrong time.

HO intakes mean nothing as you can use any intake they make no differance. its all in the camshaft and wiring.