• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need some help on Heads and numbers

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
for my 302 in the interest of getting it back on the road with as little fuss as possible I am going to try just replacing the heads and intake/carb.

I wanted to run something by folks here first I have read too much marketing and articles and am now confused.

I have a 302 and a basic need. I simply want as much low end torque as I can get without drastic changes. A simple bolt on stick the things on and enjoy the vehicle.

at a later date after my travel schedule has slowed down and the summer is over I'll put a 351W in there. I just don't have the time right now I want to enjoy the truck and weather.

I have an RV cam and will soon have headers but right now I am looking at

Edelbrock 60cc Chamber, 170cc Intake runner 1.900 in and 1.600 out

Or

AFR 60cc chamber, 165 intake 1.9 and 1.6 respectively

Are either or both of these going to give me more grunt on the bottom than stock heads? I know over the entire range they are better but I am more concerned with the low end torque if that makes sense.

Does anyone have a favorite set of rocker arms that they like for these?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Both are about the same I really doubt you'd notice any differance between the two. While the AFR's may put out higher numbers on the top end for the price I'd go with the edlebrocks as topend is meaning less in a EB. In the end either one will be better than the stockers and your not looking to knock 10ths off a time slip so the choice is yours.
As for rockers doesnt really matter I currently run cranes on my TFS heads will probably go with harland sharps next go around.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you know the details about your cam too, you might be able to lower your torque curve a bit by advancing the cam a couple of degrees, if it's not already, with a new timing gear set with off-set keyways.

Paul

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Ok thanks guys. I am going with the Edelbrocks the AFRs were featured in an article about big HP gains but they spoke very little about low end torque which is what I want. I just wanted some confirmation because I had gotten myself a bit baffled and befuddled. You are as usual correct I won't be running any 1/4 races unless I feel the need to be publicly humiliated.

Paul definitely going to ensure I dial it in. I am going to replace the stock distributor with and MSD job. I am hoping to be using it again VERY soon for my short commute between Belmont and Redwood City. This is the best time of year here as you know with absolutely perfect weather.

I have seen a few new at least to me Broncos in the San Carlos San Mateo area and it is driving me nuts that mine is DOA right now.

I hope the rain is done.

Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am hoping to be using it again VERY soon for my short commute between Belmont and Redwood City. This is the best time of year here as you know with absolutely perfect weather.

I have seen a few new at least to me Broncos in the San Carlos San Mateo area and it is driving me nuts that mine is DOA right now.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone about the fact that it's supposed to be sunny and in the high 70's to low 80's over most of the Bay Area today. Lots of the Bronco brothers and sisters still digging out of snow banks and ice dams.
And floods...

Yeah, I'm chompin' at the bit to get a few projects of mine done too, but am spending time right now updating a friend's '77 to EFI and an NV4500 and a Centech re-wire. So my personal time is limited.
Hey, wait a minute, it's a Bronco, and he's a friend, and we had food, drink and several other friend's in the garage Sunday. I guess that IS my personal time!

Paul

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Shhhh, don't tell anyone about the fact that it's supposed to be sunny and in the high 70's to low 80's over most of the Bay Area today. Lots of the Bronco brothers and sisters still digging out of snow banks and ice dams.
And floods...

Yeah, I'm chompin' at the bit to get a few projects of mine done too, but am spending time right now updating a friend's '77 to EFI and an NV4500 and a Centech re-wire. So my personal time is limited.
Hey, wait a minute, it's a Bronco, and he's a friend, and we had food, drink and several other friend's in the garage Sunday. I guess that IS my personal time!

Paul

LOL! My son's wife thinks going to work is his personal time since he's away from the kids.

vintage bronco

how about edelbrock part # 5023 heads and weiand 8124 intake manifold you can get those heads complete for right around $900.00 a set and the intake you can get for $139.40 shipped from amazon. you may check around and get the heads cheaper than $900.00. that would make a nice upgrade. just a thought.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I am going with the Edelbrocks the AFRs were featured in an article about big HP gains but they spoke very little about low end torque which is what I want.

>>>>> judging from my mustang friends with the AFR 165s on 5.0's, they seem to do it all with no penalties through out the rpm range..... they are a CNC machined head with identical ports & chambers so it's kinda unfair comparing them to the as cast edelbrock heads ..... it's also the reason they are more expensive & why they flow so good with fairly small ports & valves.........

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
Just a thought. I have talked extensively with a Ford engine guru in Paducah, KY about building a new(er) 302 roller for my '66. His thought process is to go with 289 heads 54.5cc combustion chamber to keep the compression up a bit, and an E303 cam from Ford Motorsport, roller lifters and 1.6 roller rockers. The only issue you will run in to is push rod length.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just a thought. I have talked extensively with a Ford engine guru in Paducah, KY about building a new(er) 302 roller for my '66. His thought process is to go with 289 heads 54.5cc combustion chamber to keep the compression up a bit, and an E303 cam from Ford Motorsport, roller lifters and 1.6 roller rockers. The only issue you will run in to is push rod length.

Pushrod lenght is the least of your woories. Good luck with that you'll probably pulling close to 11-1 compression. Say good by to pump gas. 289 heads are only good if you need more compression. Any aftermarket head will outperform a old 289 head it takes more money to get those 289 heads to even come close to aftermarket heads than its worth.
If I was trying to build a good performance motor(especailly a roller motor) 289 heads would not be in the equasion.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Pushrod lenght is the least of your woories. Good luck with that you'll probably pulling close to 11-1 compression. Say good by to pump gas. 289 heads are only good if you need more compression. Any aftermarket head will outperform a old 289 head it takes more money to get those 289 heads to even come close to aftermarket heads than its worth.
If I was trying to build a good performance motor(especailly a roller motor) 289 heads would not be in the equasion.

Sorry I missed the follow up on this. I have the edelbrock 50239 on there now all nice and pretty but due to a few snafu's by the company I ordered from I am dead in the water. hoping to finish the project this weekend or maybe I will take a few days off next week.

In other words I will be here soon whining and asking for more help ;D

Oh and I went with the Edelbrock performer intake and depending on what time of day you ask the Edelbrock 1405 type carb or a <600 CFM Holley Truck avenger if I can find a good price.

I may just get the Edelbrock 600cfm because I won't be doing any major off roading for awhile.

I miss living in Utah where fun driving and shooting was 1 mile from our house. Gotta live where the people who pay you want you to live though ;D

Broncnaz, Dirtdonk and others as I read through threads I see you guys helping lots of folks and I wanted to extend my appreciation again for your help now and in the past and as I read more I learn more form you guys and lots of other folks. It is a good thing you all do. Thanks

Last edited: