• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96'-2001' Explorer motor differences

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I see on Ryan's site Ford Fuel injection.com he states that for a conversion you can use 96'-2001 motors. But they are listed separately on junkyard websites. Must be some differences in the years. Anybody know the differences?

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
I think it is something to do with the internal vs. external egr set-up. Also there are some with GT40 and some with GT40P heads.

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I pulling my SEFI 351W and plan to install a stock Exploder. I have a RJM harness on my current set-up. . I guess I will need to swap my current harness ?

Why not use the Explorer computer?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The explorer 5.0s were great motors but all seemed to be a little different. Some of the things that were different...
went from 19 to 17lb injectors after 98 I think
Went from return fuel rail to returnless at some point
Went from GT40 to GT40P heads in 97
EGR setup was different (2 versions)
None had distributors but have setup to run them if not using coil packs.
If you want to run the mustang harness you need to add a couple sensors, not too big of a deal. Dizzy is a tight fit. I run 1 in mine, have another ready to drop in. Building a motor now that I will run the exp efi and serp on. Motors are great for the Bronco, real happy with mine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I pulling my SEFI 351W and plan to install a stock Exploder. I have a RJM harness on my current set-up. . I guess I will need to swap my current harness ?

Why not use the Explorer computer?

Because the Explorer computer is a completely different system. Starting in '96 they went from EEC-IV to EEC-V. 60 pin to 104 pin. OBD-II expects fuel tank temperture, fuel tank temperture, fuel tank level, and all 4 O2 sensors with the secondary ones showing the cats are working. ryans harness only works with the EEC-IV system.

So why not the EEC-V? it has been done, search this site. Trouble is they keep changing things. The Mustang interchanges for 5 years, the Explorer generally only lasted 6 months before something changed. Too many changes too often on a vehicle that is not a performance model. So very little help from the aftermarket. Much easier to use a system (EEC-IV) that has support and is understood. Still get all the benifits of EFI without all the headaches of computer feedback emissions testing.

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
Picked up a explorer motor today from a 96 explorer that had 4 bar heads on it. Started looking at numbers and found that the motor was dated March 6 of 1997. Do you think that the explorer came from FOMOCO that way or is it a replacement motor?

120xxx miles complete from intake to pan and coil packs and flexplate and exhaust manifolds.

how did I do?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am sure it came from ford that way, 120k is low should be a good score, the earlier ones had more of the desirable features although not a big deal to swap the small stuff.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks for the info guys! I guess RJM make's an Explorer harness?

Nope, just the mustang and general harness. You just treat it as a 5.0. You put the mustang sensors on the explorer motor, put a dizzy in, etc. There is debate about the MAF and TB, etc, some use mustang ones of those, some use the explorer parts. I used the explorer parts.

Here is my thread on the swap