• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" rear ??

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
dos anyone know if a 9" rear from a 70's something ford country squire with disc brakes would fit under my bronco or could i take the disc brake setup and put on my 9" ???

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well you could make it work but the bolt pattern for the wheels is different. Depending on what 9in you currently have under your bronco and what the bearing size is your donor brakes might work but mods will be needed. Look up posts about lincoln disc brakes there's info on it there.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
At the minimum, the rotors will need to be re-drilled to the correct bolt pattern. The car pattern is 5x4.5 whereas the truck/Bronco pattern is 5x5.5

Undoubtedly additional machine work will need to be done to the axles and/or caliper mounting brackets.

As was said, it can be done, but it is not a simple bolt in. As for swapping in the entire rear end, it will fit, but the question is how much of a different width will it be than the front end. Plus you still have the issue of the mis-matched wheel bolt patterns.

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
ok thanks guys simply put for a newbee (me) its to much mods guess ill just bite the bullet and save up for a after market kit im just looking for tips and advice right now as you can probably tell by looking at my other threads witch are all over the place but then how els dos one learn without wasting money..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly right.
Another thing that might be different (although not necessarily a bad thing) is that many of the larger cars with the 9" actually had 31 spline axles, whereas all the EB's ever got were the 28 spliners.

Paul

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
Exactly right.
Another thing that might be different (although not necessarily a bad thing) is that many of the larger cars with the 9" actually had 31 spline axles, whereas all the EB's ever got were the 28 spliners.

Paul

and the baring size ? big and small how do you tell witch is witch ?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ok thanks guys simply put for a newbee (me) its to much mods guess ill just bite the bullet and save up for a after market kit im just looking for tips and advice right now as you can probably tell by looking at my other threads witch are all over the place but then how els dos one learn without wasting money..

a waste of money is paying 500 bucks for something that can be done for less than 100 just search and ye shall know the ways of disks on a 9. I am going to do this swap once I get off this damn rock...

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
a waste of money is paying 500 bucks for something that can be done for less than 100 just search and ye shall know the ways of disks on a 9. I am going to do this swap once I get off this damn rock...

well i paid 4200$ for my 66 bronco and after seeing what the past owners have done i should of bought the straight solid body 72 for 2500$ i would of been better off

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and the baring size ? big and small how do you tell witch is witch ?

I actually forget the dimensions, but there is a good write-up on Wild Horses site (and in the catalog) on how to tell the differences between the different types.
I think there are like three common clues, such as bolt size, bolt spacing, axle tube flare and stuff like that.

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly right.

Paul

Surprisingly..most of the 70s big car 9s were not 31-spline for some reason. I've pulled 9s out of full-sized Lincoln Continentals in that year range..and they were all 28-spline.%)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe it was just the hi-po option cars then? Like a Torino GT with a 427/8/9/whatever in it, for example? I knew someone that said they found a 31 in an LTD, but didn't specify anything other than that.
I'd just read that you could get the 31's in the big cars.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well its still a 9in axle so really no downsides. but most cars had something like 3.00 or 2.88 axle gearing so the gears are not really useable in a EB. So really other than maybe getting the brake parts off the axle its just not worth using. Even then its not really worth the effort. Drum brakes work fine and actually have more stopping power than discs not only that rear brakes account for less than 30% of total braking so rear discs are really unneeded in most cases.