• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

IAB technical question

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Nothing new to update, Bronco drives great, idles still surges albeit a little, I have read volumes on what to check for, still waiting for FP gauge in mail. The new TPS i received for a 90 crown vic is NOT adjustable(just like my current explorer)-going to drill some wider holes to adjust...But I read about flipping the IAB around, so last night I flipped the IAB so that the connector pointred up-started her up and the idle surged to 2500rpm and would not come down-, flipped it back and the idle avergaed 900rpm, surging 100 rpm up /down....just confused why the IAB flipped made the idle surge like that? any ideas? TY

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The IAB motor (solenoid) pulls the valve in one direction to open it. If mounted correctly the motor pulls the side of the valve that does not have manifold vac on it. When you swap the assembly around on the TB, manifold vac is now "assisting" the IAB motor to pull the valve open.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I seem to remeber u mentioning that once, and i actually switched to a new iab and pointed it right direction, man the vac is strong....Ty Viperwolf

Broncobowsher

Total hack
TPS is adjustable. Drill out the mounting holes a little larger then you have room to fine tune it.

As mentioned IAB is diriction sensitive. Trouble is the mounting is symetrical so it is possible to mount it backwards. 3 different versions of the IAB and I think some have the coil upstream and others downstream.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
TPS is adjustable. Drill out the mounting holes a little larger then you have room to fine tune it.

As mentioned IAB is diriction sensitive. Trouble is the mounting is symetrical so it is possible to mount it backwards. 3 different versions of the IAB and I think some have the coil upstream and others downstream.

ty going to try that, have to try ryan's trick for settinbg base timing as well, i def did not find 10 btdc when dizzy was out, i just found tdc, didnt adjust the rotor when i stabbed it in after that, perhaps another idle surge problem.....slowly getting there....

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
Any of you guys know off hand if the IAB from the explorer is useable with the eec-iv? I know the connector is different, but electrically is it the same as the mustan?

NJB71 Good work! You smoked me!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am 99% sure I used the Explorer IAB when I did my Ranger (5.0 stroker) and the IAB worked just fine. No surging or other idle issues.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Any of you guys know off hand if the IAB from the explorer is useable with the eec-iv? I know the connector is different, but electrically is it the same as the mustan?

I was a man obsessed-trust me I pissed the wife off for about 2 weeks, cause any free time i had was out in garage

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary

I used the IAB off the Explorer, swapped plugs on the harness, works fine with my EEC-IV