• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frustrating start to the day...

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
So it's 6:30 a.m., it's dark out and I'm heading out early to get to the office. Back my daily driver '76 out of the garage and WHAAAAAM.....

This is the sound of me forgetting the in-law's are in town for the weekend and their QX56 is parked 1/2 way down my driveway. Needless to say it wasn't pretty for either their car or mine. :-*

So...I've got a meeting at the body shop set-up for Monday for the Bronco.

A few questions:

Anyone dealt with insurance/body shops on their classic? How do they deal with things like parts etc. typically? I'm going to bring the vendor parts catalogs with me to make my case for parts/costs etc.

From what I can tell I will need a new tailgate and parts to the tire carrier. I know Tom's sells these as a complete set, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of each part in the tailgate assembly? I.e. latch pieces, latch bars? etc.

Looks like I can find most of the parts for the tire carrier based on this:

http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/TIRDIA.JPG

Thanks for any tips!

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
Run an ad in the wanted section... Alot of people here probably have some of that stuff in their garage....

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Yeah, good idea. Looking for a list though so I can justify to the insurance adjuster why I want what I want for parts etc. Thanks!!

Bradsp8

I recently rear ended someone and need some front end work. Call around to several body shops and ask if they'll work on old cars or classics. Several I called wouldn't work on it. They claimed they only do late models or can't match the paint, etc... Some referred me to restoration shops but all were too far away and booked for months.

I eventually found a local shop that has a guy who has been in the business for years and said he often worked on them years ago because "the youngsters would flip them all the time." He enjoyed seeing the Bronco and I think looks forward to working on it. Although I like the fact I can save my original fender I hate the fact it's going to have bondo in it. A skim coat he says. Sounds like you are actually lucky if you can replace the tailgate and nothing else needs bodywork.

The Bronco vendors have most of what you'll ever need. The body shop seemed to have some idea of what and how to find parts but was impressed with the Bronco vendors and their products I brought to his attention. I guess it depends on your insurance carrier and state laws but you should be able to take your Bronco wherever you choose and have it fixed with new parts.

I still toy with the idea of asking State Farm for a check in the amount of the estimate and doing the work myself but I’ve never done body work and am told to leave it to the pros. I wasn’t really aware but the body shop pointed out the grill, fender and the core support are all tweaked a bit. And painting it to match closely is going to be a real pain.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Come on, got to see the pics. Both sides too.

Years ago I had a daily driver BroncoII. My dad was washing an econoline. Normally the econoline is in the garage, my BroncoII outside the garage and another car behind it next to the street. Well this day the garage was empty, the BroncoII in it's normal home and the econoline by the street getting washed. My dad decided he was done and time to put the econoline back in the garage, through the BroncoII. The spare tire on the back door was above the bumper height of the BroncoII. I still hold that card for some future need although it is a little bit aged by now.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> now may be a good time to get that tire carrier off the body/tailgate & on to the bumper........as mentioned in the other thread on tire carriers ....I was bumped hard one day in traffic ,but suffered no damage with the tire on the proto-fab bumper........

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
What the F is a QX56????%)

Its an SUV thats about a thousand times nicer and bettter and more reliable than a Yukon/Suburban.

Least thats what my friend that used to have a yuckon and bought a QX said.

WHeres your concern about fixing the QX, and damage pics????.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Here's some pics of mine...fairly light damage (tire rack pushed into the tailgate and dented at the bracket up top and hit below). Stock hub cap ruined too on my spare... Broken reflector bottom right corner...and paint chipping on it from the dents.

I meet with the body shop the insurance company is sending me tomorrow and bringing my catalogs in tow...

More pics of the father in-laws Infiniti to come (he's left and I didn't take any shots, but he'll send me some).

I got his entire hood and 2 bumper spots (one of those hoods with the grill integrated into it...

Attachments

• DSCN4026.jpg
    DSCN4026.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN4025.jpg
    DSCN4025.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN4024.jpg
    DSCN4024.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 20

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>I agree about not wanting a vehicle from manufacture with just #'s & letters for a name..nobody would want a GT40 ,first name FORD >> proper way to make a U turn .. edit ,just remembered that 69 GT40 chasis #1051 belongs to Chris Macallister(found info on youtube comments),he is a fellow early bronco owner also & registered here ,but I forgot his user name & can't find his old posts​
[youtube]<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iN-J4Jydnkc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iN-J4Jydnkc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Met with the insurance adjuster today. They are replacing the tailgate, tire carrier bracket, reflector and hub cap. All parts coming from Dennis Carpenter (helps that I brought a magazine with a list of part numbers.

$35 for that little reflector (Sport model) under the tire carrier is insane (and $100 for a hubcap)???

For those interested from earlier, here's the pics of the QX56 front end. My '76 definitely was protected by the tire carrier, his front got the worst part of the damage.

Attachments

• DSCN3994.jpg
    DSCN3994.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3993.jpg
    DSCN3993.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN3991.jpg
    DSCN3991.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN3992.jpg
    DSCN3992.jpg