• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum Radiator Review

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I was in the market for a new radiator and found a lot of good info on this site but none that really highlighted all of the potential changes that might be necessary so I'm writing up this review to hopefully capture most of my "issues" that I ran into with my new radiator installation.

I recently purchased an aluminum radiator from Radiators4less off of eBay (http://stores.ebay.com/Radiators4Less). its a 3 core aluminum radiator that was listed for all years for the EB. I got this one for $124 plus $30 to ship.

A few things to remember:

1) You'll need new 4 core mounts. The stock mounts are too small, both top and bottom. I ordered a set from JBG.
2) You might need a new fan spacer. My 1.5" spacer was too much, I needed a 1/2" spacer. Got one from my local parts store.
3) Your fan shroud might not line up perfectly. I needed to drill two lower mount holes (better to check this before you mount the rad).

That was about it. The transmission lines bolted up fine and everything else went in fairly smoothly as well. Flushed out the old coolant and put in some new and we've been at 175* in my 351W ever since. ;D

A few pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 3 Core Aluminum Rad.jpg
    3 Core Aluminum Rad.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 418
  • Mount 1.jpg
    Mount 1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 494
  • Mount 2.jpg
    Mount 2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 439
  • bottom mount.jpg
    bottom mount.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 463
  • close fit.jpg
    close fit.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 421
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 387

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Looks good. The ground wire is essential on aluminum radiators. What serp system is that? It has a standard rotation to it.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Looks good. The ground wire is essential on aluminum radiators. What serp system is that? It has a standard rotation to it.

Thanks Phil - not exactly sure - I think the 351W is from a Granada - it has a dual sump car pan on it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Boy that frame is nice....especially up there!

Casey835

I some how missed that 3 core one-i recently ordered the 2 core one from proradiator off ebay for $140 free shipping-it should be fine for a basically stock 302 though-thats what it was advertised for. It is a good looking radiator, brass petcock. Ive got to order the mounts as well. I believe i need the stock size.

jakestaaa

I have been thinking about getting one of these radiators for my 74. How does it compare to any others that you may have seen?

Welds look good? sturdy?

anything you wish it was that it is not?

thanks for the help

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I have been thinking about getting one of these radiators for my 74. How does it compare to any others that you may have seen?

Welds look good? sturdy?

anything you wish it was that it is not?

thanks for the help

Looks nice to me but I've not seen it next to a high dollar one. I've heard others complain that the neck isn't billet and may not be as sturdy but no issues for me so far. Recoring my copper rad would have cost twice as much as this aluminum one so we'll see how long it lasts.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a nice looking product. Craftsmanship and construction look better that some of the stuff I've seen from our Bronco vendors for 3 or 4 times the money. ?:?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

A couple people have asked me why the ground wire is needed. It prevents electrolysis from eating away the aluminum. Another thing that helps is to use a zinc anode in the drain hole. Electrolysis will eat the zinc before it attacks the aluminum. Summit Racing has zinc anodes.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am thinking about getting the radiator as well. He says lifetime warranty... I asked him how that would work if a weld split two years from now... He said they would send me another with a pick up ticket for the old one on his dime.

Hmmm...

I have the Stang 5.0 in my 76 EB... the OP said his was a tight fit... my stock radiator is only about 1" or less from the fan... would this would be even closer? It appears to be the same thickness.

Greg

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I am thinking about getting the radiator as well. He says lifetime warranty... I asked him how that would work if a weld split two years from now... He said they would send me another with a pick up ticket for the old one on his dime.

Hmmm...

I have the Stang 5.0 in my 76 EB... the OP said his was a tight fit... my stock radiator is only about 1" or less from the fan... would this would be even closer? It appears to be the same thickness.

Greg

Greg - I'd expect you'd have to pony up for shipping both ways on a warranty return - probably $50-75.

As for the fitment - my 3 core aluminum radiator is as wide as a 4 core copper unit (and uses 4 core mounts). The 2 core aluminum radiator uses the stock 3 core mounts (and is the same as as stock unit).

If your fan has a spacer you can always remove it (if you dont have other clearance issues). I stepped down from a 1.5" spacer to a 0.5" spacer. If I ran no spacer the fan would hit the bottom crankshaft pulley.

Hope that helps.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
added to my next list! tired of runnin hot at OCBR!

BTW the 3 core is now 199$ with free shippin

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
175* is too cool. You'll run much more efficiently at about 190-195*. Put in a new thermostat.

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Greg - I'd expect you'd have to pony up for shipping both ways on a warranty return - probably $50-75.

As for the fitment - my 3 core aluminum radiator is as wide as a 4 core copper unit (and uses 4 core mounts). The 2 core aluminum radiator uses the stock 3 core mounts (and is the same as as stock unit).

If your fan has a spacer you can always remove it (if you dont have other clearance issues). I stepped down from a 1.5" spacer to a 0.5" spacer. If I ran no spacer the fan would hit the bottom crankshaft pulley.

Hope that helps.

Hey, as you know I'm finishing up the 72 and I have been reading this thread. I the new owner of the 72 have been talking about adding this 3 core aluminum radiator. But my concern is how much thicker / wider is the aluminum or the stock? I'm using 90 Mustang with serp. and it's tight as even with the stock radiator. Could you measure the thickness of your new aluminum radiator and it will give idea if it will even work?

If it doesn't fit would a 2 core aluminum be better or more efficient then a stock 2 core copper radiator?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Jeff