• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to expect in swapping '73 body to '76 frame and whats involved?

crimorabronco

Loc.
Crimora
I have my '73 Im swapping over to a fresh powder coated '76 frame thats been completly redone with motor, tranny, transfer case installed. Everything on frame is ready to go. Thanks for any input!:)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Welcome aboard.
I can't think of anything that would be an issue.

Deano

Bronco Guru
It's a straight forward switch shouldn't be any major isues 8 bolts

johnsonx

Loc.
Lompoc
If you live in CA then the serial # on the frame will be a 76 & if the DMV checks it then you would have to smog it.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The '76 main tank does not have a liquid return line for the liquid-vapor separator on the '73 body to return to. Other than that, no significant difference.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is an early '73 body the hole for the transfer case may be wrong (J-shift was a mid '73 running change)

The '73 may have some funky fuel lines at the tank selecter valve that don't hook up with the '76 frame.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Just dropped a 70 on a 76, transfer shifter hole was the only problem. I think the 73 has the correct firewall holes for the wiring. I sectioned in a 76 firewall to make mine correct.