• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire clearance on stock bronco

stxbronco

Loc.
La Vernia
I am a new bronco owner and have the fever!!!!

My question is what is the biggest tire I can run with out a lift kit at this time? I would like to run BFG's but don’t know how big I can go without any rubbing. The fenders have been cut (Duff Fiberglass Flares).

It will only be a street machine and if I do put a lift kit on it will only be a 2 1/2 inch later down the road have to many other things I need to do first(brakes, power steering etc...) ...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
you can stuff 33's under it if you want, but it's not practical. if it's only a street machine i'd stick with 31's. but it's all what you want it to look like. they'll still look decent with a 2½ lift too.

i'd especially stay with 31's if you have no power or disc, or power steering.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I've got 32 11.50 BFG's that replaced 31's that replaced 30's. Stock height new springs. Front and rear cut with flares. I had to trim up the back of the front flares some due to rubbing. Not sure it could handle much more tire width in the back. I think the 32's look much better than 31's espically with the front flares.
Like was said before, start with the brakes and steering if you can.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
31X10.50 s are about as big as you can go. Ran those for years pre-lift. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

stxbronco

Loc.
La Vernia
Thanks for the responses, I like the look of 32 or 33's but sounds like I will need a lift first. I guess I should start with brakes steering then move on to the lift and tires...guess I need to take out a loan..;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No lift with 32 x 11.50's, as was stated.
33's, not so much, but might depend on what wheel size/backspacing too. Better not to mess with the full 12.50 widths at this time, but you won't have any trouble with cut fenders and 32's as long as you don't go wider than 11.50 on 7 or 8 inch wide wheels.

My group all ran 32's on stock suspensions and no body lifts. One of my buddies even got away without cutting his front fenders for awhile. I tried it, but had to add flares immediately after coming back from the tire store! Ahh, fun memories.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, you will however, likely run into some little bit of rubbing on the radius arms with the inner tire sidewall with the larger tires. Even 31's will rub if the wheels are tucked in tight enough, but 32x11.50's will rub for sure, unless you have a lot of negative offset to the wheels.
Easy fix is to slightly adjust the steering stop/bolts on the steering knuckles. You'll lose a tiny bit of turning radius, but it's not bad.
And the rubbing doesn't really hurt anything. Just rubs some paint off the radius arms and sounds like the truck is being chewed up by some nefarious James Bondian evil contraption.
No big though. ;)

Paul

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i ran 33x10.5r15 on my 71 with no lift they did rub at lock and i did trim the front lip on the fenders. I just drove it on the road no wheeling and it was fine

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
31x10.50's are your best bet. Fiberglass flares will get eaten up with 33x12.50's - i have proof.
3x5" lift will give you the ability to clear 35's. 2x5 - 33's easy.
good luck

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
if you'll look in my gallery, you'll see pics of mine with 33x12.5's on 15x10 wheels. due to sagged lift, I was only about 1/2" over stock height.
I didnt experience any issues, but didnt wheel it really, either.
I with I could tell you wheel offset (as that will affect things), but I dont know it.

OP
OP
S

stxbronco

Loc.
La Vernia
Wow this is a great site thanks for the responses guys, I think I will try the 32's before I buy the lift....but have the brakes otw first ...working out the bugs on relocating the A/c compressor before I can put in the power steering!?:?

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
that is stock with some front fender trimming and 33 on 15x7 wagon wheels

Attachments

• jan62008img495231.jpg
    jan62008img495231.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 47