• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is a tranny and D20 overhaul going to cost me?

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
What (approx) should I expect to pay a good tranny shop to remove, rebuild, and re-install the tranny and transfer case in my 1970? Would it make sense to buy the kits from WH and have them install those to save on the cost? Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Tcase rebuild will probably run $250 minimum with parts and labor. Probably about the same for the trans.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't do tranny shops but if you have the workspace and provide liquid refreshments I can come help you rebuild them.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
That right there is the best offer your going to get. You should throw in a steak dinner as well.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Wow! Toolin with the Viper...who could ask for more? :) What's involved with removing the transfer case? I've heard it can be a real PITA to get it out and back in again without a good tranny jack and lift?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It's cake. You just get under it and press it into place. They are not that heavy. Not a real hard job. Now lifting the 205 is a different story.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Wow! Toolin with the Viper...who could ask for more? :) What's involved with removing the transfer case? I've heard it can be a real PITA to get it out and back in again without a good tranny jack and lift?

Viper helped me rebuild mine (ok, so I mostly watched in awe)..........he really knows his stuff.

I used my motorcycle lift / jack to remove the C4/D20 as a combo. I little akward but it worked.

I put the TC back in by itself and it can be a PIA due to weight and how it has to balanced, etc.

SKOOTER

Loc.
Sacramento,Ca.
I would do it yourself. I had never even had a automatic tranny till this one, took me two trys to get it right but it was alot of fun learning how to do it. Good luck

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Tcase is not that difficult to remove/replace. Unbolt driveshafts, remove speedo cable, shifter, crossmember, and 6 bolts. The angled shape makes it difficult to use a trans jack without a jig. Bench press method works best and is fastest way because you need to get it up and in so you can start breathing again.