• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

After Market Conversion HELP!

stxbronco

Loc.
La Vernia
As a newbie to the broncos I am fired up getting my new ride on the road but need a little help. I was originally going to put stock stuff on it but cant find it locally and really don’t have the time to chase down all the parts. SOOO

I am looking at putting on after market conversions power steering, power brakes with a front disk brake conversion kit and a 2 1/2 inch lift. This is only going to be a street rig no off roading at all....I have narrowed down my power steering kit to BC Broncos due to the dual purpose a/c bracket.

I need advise on the brake kits and the lift kits. I have looked at all the online web dealers and seem like a huge price difference between each of them some higher some lower. I want to find a kit that is bolt and go with out allot of modifications. Any advise on the brakes and lift would be greatly appreciated.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty much all the brake kits will require some grinding of your steering knuckles otherwise they are bolt on. Price differances are usually minor for the basics some kits go the extra mile and add rear discs which is not always bolt on and generally not needed anyways. You have to look at what each kit includes thats the real reason for price differance.
As for lifts 2.5in lift is also basically bolt on. worst case is you have issues removing the stock suspension due to rusted bolts. Just stay with the more basic lifts dont get shock hoops or extened radius arms or more than one shock per corner as none of those are bolt on. I would suggest getting extended brake lines as well.

rmcbama

Loc.
Birmingham
I'm trying to wrap up a front disc brake conversion I purchased from JBG and not sure I would recommend them. I installed it with the Warn Premium hubs. In general, it should be a sound kit but the left backing plate was out of round and rubs the inner stock wheel. The right side has about a 1/2 inch at the tightest point and looks OK. I requested a replacement plate and just got a response back that states they just use a hammer on their's to get them round. I may have to resort to that but I'm still pushing them. If I resort to the hammer it will probably be my last JBG purchase.

I installed mine on a 68 D30 and only had to grind a small tab off the rear of the knuckle to get more clearance for the caliper. Took about 10 minutes with a grinder.

The WH kit looks similar to what I have and I understand their customer service is much better.

OP
OP
S

stxbronco

Loc.
La Vernia
Thanks for the responses; it gives me a few places to start looking and what to stay away from. I know from past experiences dealing with after market car parts there are big differences between dealers (customer service and quality) when dealing with a specific vehicles. I am just looking for the easiest kits to work with the least modifications.