• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rattle can tech -- Time for OD Green!

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Okay, after seeing some of the impressive results that other members are getting, I have bought 15 cans of Rustoleum Forest Green flat camo paint and test-painted my tailgate. After some wet sanding on the existing gray primer, it looks pretty good.

My only question: while it's still 'new' it seems to show dusty fingerprints a lot. Should I have some kind of sealant coat on it, or will it just dull out a bit with dust over time and wash off? I'm not crazy about a clear coat approach as cars tend to blister and peel here in our pleasant desert climate... and I like the idea of keeping the option of the rattle-can touch-up I've enjoyed for so many years with gray primer!

OP
OP
rsharpnm

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Don't bother w/ the clearcoat! You'll be looking for an alternative paint soon enough.

Ha! Cold, hard pragmatism... I like it! After 7 years of gray primer, I doubt I'll change anytime soon. Since I wheel the snot out of it, I don't want it to look TOO nice. I'll start fussing over brush scratches and rock rash, and where's the fun in THAT? Besides, my fall back plan is the guy on the corner that shoots ANY vehicle for $299, and throws in the overspray for free!

I'll snap pics as I go... probably get serious with it this weekend.

OP
OP
rsharpnm

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
OK, I promised pics, and here they are...

Moving in sections, we have been wet-sanding the old, existing gray primer with 1000 grit. After cleaning and drying with a compressor, we shoot Rustoleum Forest Green Camouflage paint in alternating coats, up.down, side/side. When it dries for 24 hours, we hit the finish with 2000 grit wet to take the 'rough' off it.

Seems to be going well. We need to pull the hardtop off next weekend (time to go to soft top anyway). Pulled the winch and grill molding off today... those damn plastic clips are $2 each?!? Wow!

Anyway. There you have it... now it's Miller TIme.

Attachments

• DSCN5133.JPG
    DSCN5133.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN5134.JPG
    DSCN5134.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN5135.JPG
    DSCN5135.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN5137.JPG
    DSCN5137.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN5138.JPG
    DSCN5138.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN5140.JPG
    DSCN5140.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN5142.JPG
    DSCN5142.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN5143.JPG
    DSCN5143.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
rsharpnm

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Thanks for the encouragement... it's cheap fun, and the results certainly look better than the gray primer that's been on it since I bought it years ago!

ol gray mare

Thanks for the encouragement... it's cheap fun, and the results certainly look better than the gray primer that's been on it since I bought it years ago!

Looks good. I hear ya on the gray primer, I ran mine that way long enough that everyone still refers to it as the ol gray mare! And its been red for many years. Jim

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I'm gray and thinking of doing some Krylon camo pretty soon. Been slowly migrating to Rustolium black as I have been working on stuff.

Keep up the good work.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Black out those wheel wells when you are done, and it should look really nice..... Good job. I think my 53 M37 is going to get this treatment.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
You know you can go to a Auto Body Supply store and purchase automotive style paints in spray cans. I drove a Ramcharger that I sprayed and it lasted for a very long time.

OP
OP
rsharpnm

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
You know you can go to a Auto Body Supply store and purchase automotive style paints in spray cans. I drove a Ramcharger that I sprayed and it lasted for a very long time.

That's sure an option, but I like the ease of touch-up for the flat paints. It's just going to get scratched up in the mesquite and rocks anyway. Plus, this stuff's only $3.99 a can ;)

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Looks good! Let us know how much you end up spending on paint.

Anyone know where to access the paint the army uses? I hear it is supposed to be really good. Was thinking desert tan for mine. Maybe just go with rattle can!

Last edited: