• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Timing Pointer

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Looking for a pointer for my exploere serpintine setup. I am thinking that I need a exlorer specific pointer. To fit the explorer timing cover. Where would I find an explorer pointer? I am thinking Ford Dealer.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Looking for a pointer for my exploere serpintine setup. I am thinking that I need a exlorer specific pointer. To fit the explorer timing cover. Where would I find an explorer pointer? I am thinking Ford Dealer.

Just going off memory here but I think the crankshaft/EDIS position sensor serves as the timing pointer on these engines. they are about 60 bones new.

Seems like you could make your own. I could try to take some pictures for you as a reference. There should be 2 bolts down there that you could attach a bracket with a pointer to.

or junkyard?

I'm sure ViperWolf will know for sure

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hey, it's our lucky day. I just happened to have a picture of this already so you get your picture and I dont even have to get out of bed ;D

850571115_GZ2ze-L-1.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
They do have a sheetmetal timing pointer. The crank position sensor sits under it. You can use the pointer without the sensor if you put some spacers under the pointer. As I recall the sensor is about 1/4" thick at the mounting holes. Look in the tech article for pictures.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I googled for mine. I finally found a dummy sensor with a sheetmetal pointer attached to it. I can't remember where I bought it but I'm sure I googled "explorer crank position sensor" or "explorer timing pointer".

OP
OP
BroncoinAlaska

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
They do have a sheetmetal timing pointer. The crank position sensor sits under it. You can use the pointer without the sensor if you put some spacers under the pointer. As I recall the sensor is about 1/4" thick at the mounting holes. Look in the tech article for pictures.

The tech artical mentioned that I could use a pointer out of a 1992 EFI. Would that be from a mustang?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Re the Tech Article: No. What you do is take a piece of sheet metal and make one. It costs your time only.

Attachments

• Fig_4.jpg
    Fig_4.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 45

mattt

Bronco Guru
Is there a reason you can't just use the stock Explorer pointer/crank sensor....or is this thread more about if you don't have that?