• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 Cut out

fmcpeters

Anyone happen to have the measurements for the cut out to install the NP435? Getting ready to drop mine in, thanks for whatever help you can provide.

nrramse

Anyone happen to have the measurements for the cut out to install the NP435? Getting ready to drop mine in, thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Do you have a body lift? I just did mine without a body lift and had to cut quite a bit. Unfortunately, I already put the carpet back and can't easily measure though I can probably come up with a close number if someone else doesn't.

Newell

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA

are you wanting to cut out as little as possible?

if you cut it large, you can pop the top and check on things without dropping the trans if you have a problem:

377767998_qNoX6-S.jpg

382775072_WXhSo-S.jpg

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

No body lift and it would be nice to be able to pop the top off without having to drop it.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Then just follow DanWheelers example and cut the whole top off the tunnel....

As I remember, protofab sells a nice replacement tunnel cover that raises the top of the tunnel an inch or two.... perfect for what you're doing.

I did mine with a 1" BL and was able to cut a smaller hole, but installing the trans was a PITA due to limited maneuverability.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Cut a whole like Dan wheelers. That is about what I did with mine. But wish I made it a little larger. Mine also had a 1" body lift. With no body lift you are going to be super close to the heater box when it is in 1st gear mine with the body lift just touches it in first!

hmh800

I've got a tunnel cover designed for a NP435 that I'm not going to use. PM me if you want and I'll email you some pics of it.

nrramse

Here's some pictures of the removeable tunnel cover I made, which might give an idea of where to cut. I cut about 5" up the incline under the heater box, but I don't think it would be enough to remove the top from the transmission (even if the heater box was removed). Sorry about the poor quality of the 1st picture - I was lazy that day and used a cell phone.

Newell

IMG00050.jpg

DSC00571_small.jpg

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

Thanks all, I cut one like Danwheeler, once I get it installed I'll make a cover. Worked on it a bit today, got everything ready to go in, it just doesn't want to go in. Not an easy job for one person.

nrramse

Yeah its tough with no body lift. I had to grind off more more metal on the driver's side of the cutout then Danwheeler. Also, I had to temporarily remove the motor mounts to get the engine to fit onto the bell housing because the transmission was running into body. I also had help.

Newell