• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever polish a windshield?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I've seen those kits they sell where you can polish the scratches and pitting or "haze" out of your headlights on Powerblock. Anyone know if you can do the same thing to your windshield? My stocker is fairly sandblasted and gets hard to see through when you're driving into the sun. Be nice to be able to just polish it up abit...

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
There was an episode of Trucks where they showed how to polish a windshield. I think it was on the green chevy they were restoring.

robofig

My dad works for a grocery chain that had some of their glass freezer doors scratched with gang signs by taggers.

The doors were 900 bucks each to replace. A company came out and polished the doors for 150 each.

They used a 4 inch grinder and 4 stages of disks and compounds taking out 95 % of the scratches.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For the time and hassle not to mention that you wont get out any deep pits. A new windshield is relatively cheap. plus you can get a tinted one. Last one I bought was only $134 installed but I did supply the new seal.
Now if you just have small surface scratches then yes polishing can work. but I'm pretty sure they dont use the same stuff on windshields that they use on headlights. Most of the headlights are plastic.

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
For the time and hassle not to mention that you wont get out any deep pits. A new windshield is relatively cheap. plus you can get a tinted one. Last one I bought was only $134 installed but I did supply the new seal.
Now if you just have small surface scratches then yes polishing can work. but I'm pretty sure they dont use the same stuff on windshields that they use on headlights. Most of the headlights are plastic.

Probably right. Might be time to turn the stocker into "sea glass" for my wife to pickup on the beach and get a new one... buying a kit + shipping gets me close to the cost of a new one, not to mention the time and headache...

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
summit racing sells a kit to get the scratches out. I have to try it one day for the wifes car because she put two big scratches in it trying to clean ice off of the windshield with a glass bottle. %)

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
I use his stuff called bar keepers friend comes in a can, and its found in the cleaning isle of the grocery store usually on the top shelf since I dont think alot of people buy it. Works pretty good make a paste out of it and scrub or buff

samamarshall

I heard Bon Ami is an old hot rodder trick, according to my dad anyways, never tried it. Stop scratchin your windshield with your diamond ring

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Well, not any scratches on it at all. It's just dull or pitted abit from over 40 years of dust blowing over it driving down the road I guess. I might try the Bar Keepers Friend from the grocery store. Worst case, I need a new windshield which is the next step anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I bought a kit from JC Whitney and polished a windshiled once. Came out pretty good, and I probably have enough kit left for 5 more windshields.

cougarmandan

Loc.
Bonanza, AR
Eastwood sells a kit for $60 with all the stuff you'll need. I bought one for a 67 Cougar rear window that isn't reproduced yet, or at least it wasn't a few years ago. I have yet to use it myself. I have seen several windshields that had it done. You have to be careful. It will definitely improve the appearance, but several of them that I have seen get a wavy distorted appearance. My guess is that its from working out deep scratches in a certain are and working longer or staying in one place with the sander too long. Seams like flat windows are usually pretty cheap to get at local suppliers.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
I use the glass cooktop cleaner its not abrasive and its removed some tough water stains.,,

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Use a buffer and the fine polishing compound. It won't clean up deep scratches or pitting but it sure cleans up stains and hazy spots. If you have a buffer the polishing compound is only $35-40 a quart.

BUT I agree a new windshield is the only real answer here. I just had a glass shop cut one out of me for $95.