• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting springs???

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Going to por 15 the frame and other parts tomorrow. What should I do the leaf springs with? Por 15, hammerite, regular paint? Looking for a nice clean look. How has Por worked on your springs?

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
What is Por 15? I would just wire wheel the heck out of the springs and get some semi flat black paint, Dupli-color Krylon, that way you can just simple touch them up when they get looking dirty again. the semi-flat black is a real clean looking paint. Its not too flat or glossy. thats all i use. I have found thru trials and errors that semi gloss is not the same as semi flat. it is more glossy and it looks funky.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 regular paint is what I would go with the springs rub against each other anyways and will need to be touched up at some point so regular paint is a better bet.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
i would use the por 15. where they rub each other they will keep rubbing and will not need to be re-painted there anyways. that way you dont have to worry about rust.

Terkish

I would use the POR 15 it holds up better then paint alone dose. And it will take care of any rust.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not a issue of the paint holding up its that the rust stains the paint as time goes by. yes the springs will always rub the paint off where they rub its not like you can actually paint that part anyway.
either would work I'd just think you'll end up respraying it with regular paint as time goes on and rust stains develop.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
Not a issue of the paint holding up its that the rust stains the paint as time goes by. yes the springs will always rub the paint off where they rub its not like you can actually paint that part anyway.
either would work I'd just think you'll end up respraying it with regular paint as time goes on and rust stains develop.

yup. exactly my point !!