View Full Version : Explorer serpentine alt wiring w/Centech harness

Goldhawg
05/02/10, 01:26 PM
Think I've got my wiring all done, but just wanted a sanity check. I bought the RJM alternator harness, and I also got an RJM ground stud. You can see my wiring on the original harness and what I have now. An earlier post suggested just cutting off the leads and taping up the original yellow and orange wire; I have attached the original black lead to my new ground stud (which also has leads to back of engine, frame and negative battery terminal. Is there any reason why I should just hook the yellow/orange wire to the RJM block downstream from alternator just after the 175 amp fuse? Or as an earlier post suggested, just cut off and tape up?

I'm not much of a wiring guy I was just concerned that somewhere else in the circuit may depend on that 12v....

thx all

Viperwolf1
05/02/10, 02:16 PM
Get rid of the yellow and orange. The orange wire and the small black wire go straight to the old voltage regulator which you should also get rid of.

What is that heavy black cable connected to the fuse?

Goldhawg
05/02/10, 02:46 PM
Get rid of the yellow and orange. The orange wire and the small black wire go straight to the old voltage regulator which you should also get rid of.

Aahh. I thought that black wire was a ground, so I connected it to the ground stud. Wasted another shrink wrap electrical connector. Oh well.

[/QUOTE]What is that heavy black cable connected to the fuse?[/QUOTE]

That is the cable going down to the starter. It was on the one side of starter relay, but adding the big cable from the RJM harness didn't leave enough room on the stud to add it there. So I moved it on the other side of the 175A breaker; it should be seeing the same electrical load as before, so I didn't think it would matter. Am I wrong?

Thx!!

Viperwolf1
05/02/10, 05:20 PM
What is that heavy black cable connected to the fuse?

That is the cable going down to the starter. It was on the one side of starter relay, but adding the big cable from the RJM harness didn't leave enough room on the stud to add it there. So I moved it on the other side of the 175A breaker; it should be seeing the same electrical load as before, so I didn't think it would matter. Am I wrong?

Thx!!

If you are using a new style starter with the integrated solenoid it's ok. If you have the old style starter you're going to have problems as soon as you attach the battery cables. The old starter would run constantly. This would be very bad and even worse if the trans is in gear.

Goldhawg
05/02/10, 05:24 PM
If you are using a new style starter with the integrated solenoid it's ok. If you have the old style starter you're going to have problems as soon as you attach the battery cables. The old starter would run constantly. This would be very bad and even worse if the trans is in gear.

I do have one of the new mini-starters off a late model explorer.