View Full Version : pulling the balancer

clc900
05/02/10, 04:28 PM
Got a 351W that I am converting to the Explorer Serp Belt Conversion. I need to pull the balancer to change out the timing cover. I got the big bolt off from the crank/balancer. So how does the balancer come off so I can get the timing cover off?

56f100bbw
05/02/10, 04:32 PM
You can get a harmonic balancer puller at checker or auto zone

blubuckaroo
05/02/10, 04:35 PM
Got a 351W that I am converting to the Explorer Serp Belt Conversion. I need to pull the balancer to change out the timing cover. I got the big bolt off from the crank/balancer. So how does the balancer come off so I can get the timing cover off?

You'll need a puller made for that application. A little inginuity can help too. The main thing is DON"T PULL ON THE OUTER RIM with a gear puller. You'll just pull the ring off and ruin the balancer. You need a puller that will bolt to the threaded pully holes.

Broncobowsher
05/02/10, 06:15 PM
Don't forget the washer that was under that big bot as well.
Then use a balancer puller. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor freight that will usually work just fine. They are not a super tight fit but still tight engouh you need a puller.
Don't hurt the threads at the end of the crank with the puller.

Bronco Brian
05/02/10, 06:23 PM
You are looking for something like this http://www.kd-tools.com/2286.htm

At this time we are working on the same thing I just pulled all my Explorer stuff yesterday.

7elk
05/02/10, 08:53 PM
The pullers at checker, auto zone, or o'rielly's work great and you can rent them.

av bronco
05/03/10, 03:12 PM
Be careful not to boger up the threads in the crank when pullng it.

GrillMaster
05/03/10, 03:24 PM
I am going from Full Size Bronco Serp to V belt. Do you want to sell me your old stuff?

pullys, front cover, brackets etc?

kelpy
05/03/10, 07:44 PM
Take the big washer off and put the bolt back in so the puller has something to push against. The balancer will clear the bolt head as it comes off. No thread boogering.