• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JBFab twin sticks w/ A.A. AOD adapter

mattt

Bronco Guru
I know JBFab has a new set of twin sticks that are made specifically to work with the Advance Adapters AOD adapter. I have a non AOD specific set that I bought a while back before I had the AOD that I would like to use if possible. Anyone successfully modified std. T shift twin sticks to work with the AOD adapter without completely re-inventing the wheel? If it's a lot of work to
"make these work" I may as well just pick up the correct ones from JBFab. Thanks in advance.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just looking at the JBFab site it looks like the major difference is the bend at the base of the front shifter. I imagine that's probably there so you can use the stock hole and prevent some floor cutting.

I imagine the folks at JB could tell you what else may need to be done or maybe they can do an AOD upgrade kit for you.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yeah.....I've been talking to Jon thru email. No easy work around that he is aware of....but I figured I'd check the Bronco knowledge base out there before buying another set of sticks.

They could work....I would just have cut the hole towards the drivers floor board and give up the structural edge where the side of the tunnel meets the top of the tunnel.....not how I want to handle it.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Measure the size of the hole in the AA adapter, buy a bolt that's the size of the hole (mine was NOT a 1/2"), drill out the bronze bushings to fit. I relocated the hole in the floor, if you do this there's not much that needs to be cut out, maybe a 1/2" or less on both sides, if your good you can patch the other sides with the pieces you cut out. The linkage works fine.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Dont mean to hijack your thread but I would like to know more about your AOD swap... Do you have any kind of a write up? I am trying to decide if I want to go that route or possibly a NV3550...

What was the biggest obsticle you faced with the AOD...

Greg

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
The spacing of the mount is about 1/2" off because the bends in the sticks are not correct to compensate for the AA adapter.
As a reference....if you look at the distance from the transfer case shifter mount point to the center of the crossmember mounting hole....that distance is less with the AA adapter vs. a stock C4 adapter. Basically, the AA adapter is WIDER than a stock adapter. That is why JBFab has these sticks with a more radical bend at the bottom.

http://jbfab.net/Merchant2/merchant...Product_Code=EB20T-AOD&Category_Code=Shifters

I don't want to cut the hole in the floor wider to make these work...going wider will take away the strength in teh floor where it's cut. Here are a few pics showing my issue....

Attachments

• 0501102252.jpg
    0501102252.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0501102253.jpg
    0501102253.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I don't have a write up...just a lot of different threads over the recent past that talk about different issues I've encountered. I think there is a write up in the tech section....or other guys have done complete write ups.