• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Fuel Pump

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Will a fuel filter between the pump and carburetor impeed fuel delivery?

Should the filter be between the gas tank and the electric fuel pump instead?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i was originally thinking of running an inline pump and was going to run a screen before the pump and a filter after the pump. i since decided to run an in-tank pump.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I would second that all the fuel pumps I have ever installed mech. or electric say to put a filter before the pump and most people will put a second canister style filter after a electric pump to act as an accumulator.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
So the electric fuel pumps generate enough pressure to "push" the gas through a filter that sits up by the carb?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes I run dual filters on my bronco fuel pump is a Carter P4070 one filter is between the pump and the tank and the other is up neat the carb. Probably dont need one up near the carb but the one before the pump definetly gets a lot of junk in it. that junk would be going through the pump if it wasnt there. I have a 23 gal tank and the fuel pickup doesnt have a screen on it.
If never had a issue with the pump putting out enough PSI or volume even during soime 6000 rpm runs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stock carb had a filter right on it anyway, so no matter what pump type you're using, if you had a stock carb, you had a filter in-between.
So even though, yes, a filter can reduce the efficiency of a pump, I can't see how it would detract enough to be an issue.
Unless it's just a weak pump?

Paul