• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Convert early dana 44 drum or put in 77 dana with disc

1970toy

Need a little advice. I am doing a 1970 frame off to a 1970 bronco. It has a dana 44 with drums in it. Looks like a 71 or 72 dana 44. I just got a 1977 dana 44 with disc all stock. Is either better. Sould I just rebuild the 77 with disc and drop it in or should I us just the disc parts and rebuild the dana I have in the truck. Or does it matter at all. Thank you very much for any feedback I am new to this community. Have lots of expereince in wrenching and 20+ years in body work but need help form those who been there.
1970toy

OP
OP

1970toy

1977 dana 44

Thank you. I thought so. Just want to hear from the community and see if others have been there. Thank you forthe reply.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Thank you. I thought so. Just want to hear from the community and see if others have been there. Thank you forthe reply.

Yeah, I really can't give you a lot of technical reasons why, besides improved braking power, and the 44 is suppose to be a lot stronger. The more knowledgeable members I'm sure will chime in and let you know more....good luck!

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
If your going to rebuild the whole unit then do just the 77 with the discs. then you would not have two 44's torn apart as the 77 knuckles would have to be swapped onto the 72 44 as the spindles are different. 5 bolt vs 6.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well if the gear ratios are the same then it would make sense to keep them both complete and rebuild the 77 because of the disk set up. You will need to change out your master cylinder to a disk / drum set up. No big deal there.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I went with a '76 44 with disk instead of refurbishing the older model and adding disc. Just make sure the gears are the same with your rear.

OP
OP

1970toy

Thank you for the replies. They are really helping. I know that Iam going to have to upgrade my master cyl,. I still have to check to make sure the gear ratio is the same. Just picked it up. Getting ready to put in my order for refreshing it. Thank you again. 3 years into it and just hope to finish the frame & drivetrain this year. taken everything down to the very last nut & bolt.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Personally, I would lean towards converting the old 44. The 77 will require a 77 steering setup, including a 77 pitman arm. The steering arm can interfere with some rims if the back spacing isn't right, so you end up using spacers. I like the design of the chevy discs better than the ford. So it might just some down to which one will be cheaper to install.
Tom

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on converting the older D44 to GM discs while I wont say I like the GM discs better less over all mods will be required vs swapping in the 77 axle.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
That's what I was thinking, there are differences in the track bar and tie-rod mounting points on the early drum and 76-77 disc 44 axles that would need to be addressed. I know what Socal Tom means about the 77 steering arm to rim clearance, my 76 has about 1/4" clearance with the rim.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
That's what I was thinking, there are differences in the track bar and tie-rod mounting points on the early drum and 76-77 disc 44 axles that would need to be addressed. I know what Socal Tom means about the 77 steering arm to rim clearance, my 76 has about 1/4" clearance with the rim.

Socal is saying that if you install the D44 from the 77 on the earlier 70 and re-use the steering linkage from the 70.....................the ends will interfere with the wheels if they aren't 15" with 3.5" backspacing (or less) or 16" / 17" diameter wheels.

If you aren't pressed for time, it might be just as easy to convert the earlier unit to disc brakes.

I would want to know the condition of both diff's gear sets before I made a decision though. No sense converting to discs if the rest of it is already worn out and the one from the 77 is in better condition.

lot's to consider
:p

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
If you're planning to wheel the rig when it's done, I'd recommend the later model D44. The later units use the larger 5 bolt spindle, which makes it a lot easier to get a blown up 760 sized U-joint out. The earlier 6 bolt spindle hole barely allows the 760 sized U-joint through, let alone once you've broken/bent the ears up. I also think the Ford caliper gives a bit more clamping force and allows the easier upgrade to the Lincoln front calipers if you need a bit more stopping power.
Joe

OP
OP

1970toy

Personally, I would lean towards converting the old 44. The 77 will require a 77 steering setup, including a 77 pitman arm. The steering arm can interfere with some rims if the back spacing isn't right, so you end up using spacers. I like the design of the chevy discs better than the ford. So it might just some down to which one will be cheaper to install.
Tom

Thank you Socal Tom. You are right. Iwas out in my (toy box) garage and I did notice a difference in the steering linkage. It looked like the older linkage would bolt to the newer 44. Not real sure yet. Just checking things out. Thank you.

OP
OP

1970toy

I noticed that today when checking out the 77 dana 44 the steering is a issue. I have all the linkage. As for tires and rims, I plan on keeping it down to 33x12x15 tires with 15" rims no wider then 10"

OP
OP

1970toy

thank you very much everybody and please keep it coming. I am learning a lot. I knew If I asked in this community I would get help. I been drooling over the bronco pictures for 2 years now. I have some of my own soon to be put up. My Old dana 44 is in cherry shape. I stripped it and media blasted it and rebuilt it. right down to the red grease covers. But if the newer dana 77 is is great shape I think I may go with that. Just a few minor issues to get by. Linkage for one. Does not look like that much of a problem. This is not going to be a rock climber or mud truck. More like something I can take to events and drive on nice days. Trailer it to bronco events. (looking forward to that) Have a nice camper to pull it. Again any info is great thank you again. 1970TOY.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I noticed that today when checking out the 77 dana 44 the steering is a issue. I have all the linkage. As for tires and rims, I plan on keeping it down to 33x12x15 tires with 15" rims no wider then 10"

Be careful using the 15 inch rims, they are very close to the calipers and don't allow much room for error!