• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2011 5.0 crate engine

mflint1513

So...does anyone think this will be a good install into an EB? I'm wondering what transmission options, electrical nightmares, cooling issues, and fitment (motor mounts) issues would go along with this. Anyone have any input?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your mud bog racing or doing 1/4 miles this would be a great motor. In a 4000lb truck as a driver or trail truck, not so much unless you recam it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't say overkill but the fact it's modular makes it an unknown for sizing, motor mounts, radiator spacing, tranny, etc. Overkill for HP? No. Where the HP and TQ are made? it would be underkill actually.

search for modular motor conversions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That article is a good read.
But also note the lowest RPM mentioned the whole time was 4250 and they kept bringing up 7000.
Then all the hints at things to come. Stuff that didn't make it during the crunched development time. Stuff that could be added later.
Unless they offer a crate conversion I think it would be a royal pain to swap. That computer is going to be touchy. It has to be just right to take high compression on low octane. With stuff like this there is a huge difference between making it work and making it work right.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Just put a 351W in the Bronco and you will have a lot more money in your pocket too fix what you break!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Good for a lightweight car and thats about it. It would be no diferent than building a 400 hp 302 it will need to rev to get those numbers and have no bottom end.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Rumor has it they are going to have this motor in the 2011 F150, along with a 6.2 two valve and the twin turbo ecotech v6, should be a good year for ford.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Good for a lightweight car and thats about it. It would be no diferent than building a 400 hp 302 it will need to rev to get those numbers and have no bottom end.

Damn it man, you piss in my cheerios every day!!! LOL

My plan was to drop a 347 stroker in mine, are you telling me to just go with a 351W?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, STROKER 351
That does sound better then 302 or even 347. How about...
STROKER 408

Yea, that does sound good

OP
OP
M

mflint1513

I hear ya about the 351. I figured since they were puttin' this into the F-150 anyway, it would work all the same. Maybe a 351 is just the way to go then.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Highjack alert

I have a guy offering to sell me a 351W that was originally in an 89 E350 Van, then it was converted to carb and dropped in an 85 F250, and it allegedly has about 40,000 miles on it. He has it on a stand and is willing to crank it up for me before i buy it...

From what I've read this isn't the best 351 to buy (roller block from a Lightning) but will it be acceptable? I might just rebuild it and drop it in, then when the rest of the rig is done pull it and build it up.

(Sorry for the highjack, but this is kinda time sensitive, and it somewhat relates to the original post)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good engine to me. I've never heard of a 89 351W being not the best motor to have. It should have E7 heads which are slightly better than most 351W heads. See I didnt piss in your wheaties again.